PDA

View Full Version : Mantis?

The_Gryphon
05-20-2005, 09:13 AM
The night before I heard a ticking in my house and it stopped before I could pinpoint it. Lastnight I heard it again, but it was coming my nano. If it is a mantis, when is the best time to spot it and how can you catch it? Doesn't really bother me having one if I do, but I'll think twice before rearranging anything lol.

jwelch87
05-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Try AW, they have traps for them. What's been up?

The_Gryphon
05-20-2005, 11:26 AM
not too much. same o same o. How's your tank coming along?

obarrera
05-20-2005, 11:37 AM
I also hear a clicking noise every night, I thought maybe it was a pistol shrimp since nothing in my tank has been killed(except for my clown that jump the other day:( ) but I never see any sand storms or anything, if it was a pistol shrimp im sure my water would be atleast a little cloudy?

BrookR1
05-20-2005, 11:57 AM
I heard there's a difference in sounds between a pistol and a mantis. The pistol has loud distinct pops, and the mantis has sort of a jackhammer sound. I have a hitchhiker pistol in my tank and have not noticed any sandstorms either. But he pops loudly every night. I've had it for over a year now, and still haven't seen it.

One more thing, you're more likely to have a mantis if your LR came from Florida/Caribbean. If it's Fiji, then most likely it's a pistol.

Dakota
05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by obarrera
I also hear a clicking noise every night, I thought maybe it was a pistol shrimp since nothing in my tank has been killed(except for my clown that jump the other day:( ) but I never see any sand storms or anything, if it was a pistol shrimp im sure my water would be atleast a little cloudy?

yeah. My pistol goes on digging sprees and I wake up to see the tank clouded up. It may also be a bi-valve of some kind. I'e heard some of mine snap.

My LR came form Fiji, and I had a small mantis with it :(

phishphood
05-20-2005, 12:26 PM
not sure if helps w/ the mantis part, but I have a pistol in a 5g tank, he digs like crazy but my water is never cloudy. Guess that might be different if you have really fine grain sand.

The_Gryphon
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
I haven't seen any of the sandstorms, but I do notice my sand gets dug out or tossed around each morning. Different mounds and such. Doubt my snails or hermits are doing that. The other day I couldn't see it cause the cover of my shrooms but it seemed like something was burrowing into the liverock and parts of liverock were shooting out from under the shrooms.

jwelch87
05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
My tank is doing great. I have added some xenia, gsp, and a couple of other corals. I also have a purple tank, flamehawk, a true perc w/lta. It''s still a work in progress. I hope that in the next decade I can finish it.