PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Bothering Sea Hare

AndyA1979
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I got a sea hare mow down some green hair algae, and it was doing fine for a month or so then I noticed my cleaners and fire shrimp picking at it constantly. It's back has lost all of its color and it is all white now. I put it in the sump/fuge.

Can shrimp and sea hares not live together?

mrfrogspawn
01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
i have a cleaner shrimp and 2 peppermint shrimp in with my sea hare and haven't run into that problem. although the sea hare i have is bigger than my closed fist, which might be why the sea hare doesn't get harrased. i also have an arrow crab thats close to 12" leg span, and he hasn't bothered anything in the tank.

nahtanoj
01-25-2010, 01:24 PM
i have had peppermint shrimp attack and kill a seahare. never had a cleaner do it. no experience with fire shrimp.

manny77
01-25-2010, 01:24 PM
This is a good thread. I'm planning on picking a sea hare this week but I have some hermits and a banded, fire, peppermint, and Harley shrimp. I don't know if they will bother the sea hare

nahtanoj
01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
i had a seahare with peps and cleaners with no issues before. i was truly shocked when i added one and the pepperments jumped on it like a pack of wolves and started tearing it apart.

mrfrogspawn
01-25-2010, 05:46 PM
maybe it depends on the species of sea hare? and anyone know if its normal for sea hare 'poop' to be a neon red color? the one nite i noticed the sea hare mowing down some algae and the stuff coming out the other end was a neon red color that glowed under the actnics.

nahtanoj
01-25-2010, 10:29 PM
hmm, mines poop just looked like compacted hair algae.

specvjeff
01-28-2010, 11:48 PM
I guess it depends on what the sea hare is eating. I would do what you can to make sure the Sea Hare isn't stressed as they can release a toxin. Sea Hares need a lot of algae to munch on and it could quickly starve to death in your sump.

Rudyg308
07-11-2015, 02:32 PM
I just bought one and my peppermints are attacking him like crazy