PDA

View Full Version : How in the world???

Reefkeeper
05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Yesterday I noticed what looked like a possible crack in the side of my glass aquarium. Tthe tank hasnt been moved since it was set up and its not in an area where it gets jostled, I figured that it was most likely a piece of silcone that had come loose. There is nothing that I did which would have cause a crack.

Tonight, I finally decided I had better remove the hood and do a touch test to see if it was a crack or silicone. Unfortunately, it is a damn crack!!!

This is the first time in nearly 3 decades where I have had a tank crack. (With the exception of during shipping) It was also the first time I have owned a Visio tank. (Always, All-Glass or Oceanic tanks in the past)

I think this tank is actually still under warranty although I did shave off the large brand sticker, I just need to find the receipt. This really really sucks. I would just say it was a sign to get a larger tank but its on a stand that I made to fit this tank exactly and it is sized exactly for the area where its placed. Plus, some things like the hood wouldnt fit a larger tank and I really doubt the company will reimburse me for these costs.

Anyone know how these aquarium manufacturers usually handle cracked tanks?

suver569
05-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Damn, that really sucks. Where is the crack, up towards the top of the tank?

Trickman2
05-18-2005, 07:08 AM
That does suck, But this is why I would never own a glass tank. Gotta be more carefull with acrylic but At 10x stronger than glass. I think its worth it. ReefKeeper let me know if their is anything I can do to help you out on this one.

Trickman2
05-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Also Have you looked at the VIA Aqua Tanks. I think Custom Aquatics has them. A little more Pricey but I think they should be better quality.

Reefkeeper
05-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah the crack is on the side panel in the back left corner. Its probably a little less than an inch in length right now.

Now to contact the manufacturer to get this thing replaced.

MrKrispy
05-18-2005, 10:30 AM
can you place pieces of plastic on each sides of the crack, then hold them with magnet cleaners? That might stop the leak until you can replace the tank..... or maybe silicone it using that method....