PDA

View Full Version : diy ato

Andy3000
01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I have a JBJ ato works great but i saw this and it looks easy and kinda cool just thought i would share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmT2rV0iYE&feature=related

Just did it works great!

xM3TH0Dx
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the link. I love the mini float valve and will be perfect for my tank.

Andy3000
01-10-2010, 03:19 PM
mine has worked great for a few days now...i have heard from others that this is the way to go..i wonder if anyone has had any problems with it ?

tom619
01-10-2010, 06:38 PM
that's my set up. works perfectly for few months now; im extremely comfortable with it at this point. only thing is the guy is a ghetto idiot for using razor blade to cut wires :lol:

xM3TH0Dx
01-10-2010, 08:00 PM
that's my set up. works perfectly for few months now; im extremely comfortable with it at this point. only thing is the guy is a ghetto idiot for using razor blade to cut wires :lol:

lol, i was waiting for him to slip and slice his thumb up....but I guess he is a pro with it if he didn't.

Batman
01-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I've had the same one for a year now. for $8, and have never had a problem with it.

Batman
01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
..... and I did mine with a razor knife, but I'm from Escondido, so it's all good.

dwrig
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
razorblade? man up and use your teeth (j/k). if you use the very same setup caution!!! 120VAC on a 12V switch and water = massive headache (if ur lucky). there's a reason the more expensive diy kits are, well, more expensive.

smirkis
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
i'd make 2 ato's with this method and hook both up to be floodsafe.

use a reverse floatswitch above the first one. wire it backwards so it gives power when its down, but cuts power when its up...

then plug them in like this:

|wall outlet| = |reversed ato| = |standard ato|

so basically the reversed ato will give power almost always, when the water level drops below the standard ato, ur standard ato will refill it. if for some reason the standard ato sticks, water will keep filling, if it fills enough to lift the second float switch which is reversed, it'll kill power to the standard ato which should kill the ato pump. in theory anway lol. i've been trying to think of a way to better the idea of the cheap diy ato, im gonna do it like this.

Andy3000
01-12-2010, 03:09 PM
what kind of headache? I was thinking the 12v to 120VAC may cause problems...but what kind?

ajn81
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
razorblade? man up and use your teeth (j/k). if you use the very same setup caution!!! 120VAC on a 12V switch and water = massive headache (if ur lucky). there's a reason the more expensive diy kits are, well, more expensive.

Can easily be fixed by using a 12V relay (http://www.aquahub.com/store/12voltspdtrelay.html) and a 12V wall transformer. You can get the relay at a autoparts store for like $5 and the transformer from Industrial Liquidators for fairly cheap.

What yo do is connect the float switches, pump, 12V transformer, and 120 cord to the relay. The 12V transformer will power the float switches, when the float switches to the on position, the relay with switch on the 120V pump.

If you don't do this, you will damage the float switches, it's only a matter of time.

leorleor
02-10-2010, 01:25 PM
this will work, but a lot of people used to get shocked from pumps and heaters, its hard to build these things so they will never pump 120v into your tank. So i agree, abusing a cheap float switch might not be safe.

A low voltage relay is the way to go... like cars would be cheaper without seat belts. You can get the best optically isolated relays for cheap:
http://www.futurlec.com/Opto_Relay_4.shtml
$14.90 for 4 relays, and can probably fit it in an electrical box. Then you can use 4 float switches like the pros ;). And you'll never have to eat 120 volts.

maus42
02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Gravity feed ATO for the win... no power, super simple design, uses nothing more than basic physics principles. I guess this is for people who want to hide their resivoir out of sight or under the tank at the sump level?

Andy3000
02-11-2010, 01:46 AM
so you do guys think i am going to fry my self or my fish one day?