PDA

View Full Version : running lights at night?

singlefintj
05-17-2005, 03:23 PM
ive heard some people run their lights at night, ive started doing it to try to save money, but the thing i notice that the tank gets alot of ambient light so im worried that the tank isnt getting enough darkness time. anyone have any input on this?

MrKrispy
05-17-2005, 03:43 PM
I do this for a few weeks in august. I start the lighting at 8pm or so, run them for 7-8 hours.

suver569
05-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by singlefintj
ive heard some people run their lights at night, ive started doing it to try to save money, but the thing i notice that the tank gets alot of ambient light so im worried that the tank isnt getting enough darkness time. anyone have any input on this?

I wouldnt worry about the ambient light. The incandescent and florescent bulbs around your house wont penetrate the tank much. No more than the moon would at least.

SDA619
05-17-2005, 04:50 PM
i always do this...

dont know if its bad or anything but i have always ran lights in the afternoon.

Flamehawk
05-17-2005, 05:21 PM
I have my lights come on around 5pm and off at 1am.. I do it because I want to look at my tank when I am home.

When it is really hot during summer, some time I have my MH off 2-3 days each week(actinic goes on and off with it's regular timer setting), or at least reduce the hours MHs are on.

treylane
05-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I run lights-on-at-night as well. Just more convenient for me since I'm home in the evenings, and I don't have to juggle the lighting cycle in the middle of summer.