PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an acrylic tank

The_Gryphon
05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
What's the best way to get corraline off an acrylic tank? Empty, drained and dry tank. Of course when all done scratches can be buffed out, but what way also produces the least amount of scratches?

Trickman2
05-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Fill it up again. and Use a plastic scraper. The pro scrapers with the red plastic blades are good. The water will act as a lubricant and you will be able to see what you have removed.

brncsfns5621
05-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Is there any way to buff out scratches while the tank is full? I don't think so but just curious.

Dakota
05-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by brncsfns5621
Is there any way to buff out scratches while the tank is full? I don't think so but just curious.

yes, they have kits that can remove scratches under water, but they are kind of expensive for the nice ones with the magnets.

This one claims to be underwater, but I've never used it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_maintenance_scratch_removal_kit_pentair_a quatics_rainbow-lifegard.asp?CartId=

brynboy
05-17-2005, 01:37 PM
i used the sea clear acrylic repair kit from AW. i think it was like $25. it's basically a sanding block and varying grades of very fine wet/dry sand paper. works pretty good, and yes it works under water.

farrington300
05-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I use old credit cards, gift cards, Drivers license, etc. I have found that Starbucks cards are good but a old drivers license is the best. The rounded edges help prevent scratches. If you press really hard it will scratch, just keep a nice soft pressure and you wont scratch the tank. This may not be the best way but i have been doing it now for a few months and my tank still looks good. just wanted to put in my 2 cents. o yeah i got the idea from one of the guys at AW.

The_Gryphon
05-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, gonna have to take the tank to parents house where I have a hose to use.

mojoreason
05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
i found this weird glove type thing made by Python recently to clean monster algae off the back & side of my acrylic tank ... works like a beaut ... my hands gets tired before it stops removing the yuck - - and it doesn't scratch at all.

mer116
05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
the tank is empty? sorry guys but screw the credit cards. if you had livestock in there yes the credit cards work great. fill it up w/ water, and get a gallon jug of vinegar from the store. throw the whole jug in and toss in a powerhead. leave it in there till all the coralline melts off. then you can just rinse off the tank.