PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint shrimps and aptasia

Reefkeeper
05-16-2005, 10:29 PM
I thought that I possibly had aptasia, although it was different from the aptasia I have seen before. As such, I added 2 peppermint shrimps to my tank figuring that they could take care of the problem and would look nice in the interim.

Thus far, I think the damn peppermint shrimps have dispatched my featherworms...as I havent seen any since the first day I put them in. But it appears that the unknown animals that I thought were possibly aptasia arent interesting them at all. The unknown anenomes dont seem to be stinging anything as my fish, snails, crabs, and even the peppermints have come in physical contact with them many times without apparent incident.

The shrimp also has taken an interest in a snail, my hand, and even a fish that was relieving itself....but hasnt bothered the possible aptasia.

So, what is more likely....its something other than aptasia (like I originally thought) or I have 2 shrimps with loose screws?

GeeOh
05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
So, what is more likely....its something other than aptasia (like I originally thought) or I have 2 shrimps with loose screws?

Lemme borrow your P-shrimp. I got def. aiptasia in the tank I'm cycling. I'll tell U for sure after they hang out in my tank for a week.

mer116
05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
they usually get down to business if you don't feed them... they'd rather eat tasty fish food than bland aiptasias. Try feeding less for a bit. :)

Reefkeeper
05-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Unfortunately, they grab the food when I feed the fish. Not much I can do to stop that other than minimize the amount I feed the fish so that its not really doing anything other than floating.

mer116
05-17-2005, 12:46 AM
your other option is to get a small tank/tub and take your individual rocks out and have the peppermint shrimp do their thing there.

colindoug3
05-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Reefkeeper
Unfortunately, they grab the food when I feed the fish. Not much I can do to stop that other than minimize the amount I feed the fish so that its not really doing anything other than floating.
You dont even have to cut down on feeding. Just feed over a longer period of time by adding smaller amounts at a time. This way it stays at the surface. Shrimp will swim up, but it will minimize the amount they can catch.

peterluber
05-18-2005, 02:26 PM
joe's juice 'em

wannabeafarmer
05-18-2005, 02:40 PM
I've had good luck taking a little R/O water, nuking it to boiling, and then hitting the aiptasias with that from a syringe (sp.?). I got the needle from an inkjet cartrige refill kit, if you have trouble getting them elsewhere!

Reefkeeper
05-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Well the consensus of several professionals is that I dont have classic Aptasia....but they feel that its probably anemonia along the lines of C. Majano. Of course, they arent willing to put any money on that identification and wont even positively rule out a sub-species of Glass Anenome.

Of course, it appears that this alleged problem species of anenome is so bad that it doesnt seem to bother anything it comes into contact with and isnt spreading at any great rate. One of those mysteries.

But, I guess that just goes with this tank. Thus far with this current mini-reef, I have been told that I have a species of Elysia slug that is probably unknown to science and unidentified. (Or so says the Marine Ecologist - Invertebrate Zoologist) Hell, maybe I should document it and get to name a species. Plus, its the first time in my many decades of fish keeping that I have had a glass tank break while in use. I will be very interested to see what happens next.