PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids Tank is SWEET but TOTM Still?

duecejt
12-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I am just wondering why the TOTM has not changed since September. Sucks for all the other people with sweet set-ups that want the honor. I know I would be bummed if I won and my month passed me up with no acknowledgment. Thanks guys!

reefrf
12-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I'd have agree with Josh. I won October TOTM and never had the honor of my tank on the front page of SD REEFS. The time has past but this should be addressed & corrected for the start of the New Year.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Bogg
12-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Reef central?. Ok Ron then Josh's are the next totm imo. Who wants to take the pics?.

jason142
12-20-2009, 09:14 PM
I know Justin was the one the was cordinating the TOTM and don't think anyone took it over after he broke his tank down.

Hybrid
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I am just wondering why the TOTM has not changed since September. Sucks for all the other people with sweet set-ups that want the honor. I know I would be bummed if I won and my month passed me up with no acknowledgment. Thanks guys!

Hater... lol. Jk... Justin, jhai was the one doing it and he had a new job opportunity come up and is no longer able to do it. We need someone that is willing to do it and take over. Not that its not cool seeing my tank everytime I log in, but I would like to see other tanks get up on this.

jrod11
12-20-2009, 10:18 PM
I think Justin's tank might still be up and running. My parents live above him and I can see his tank glowing from my parents backyard at night.

DaveMorris
12-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Any of you complainers feel free to step up to the plate. I did it for about 4 or 5 months and stopped when people kept giving me the "My set up isn't good enough yet" even though everyone else on the site thought it was. It takes a lot of time and effort to do it. Coordinating picture taking, writing up the information, coding the page, etc. It is a lot of work and hearing the excuses gets old real fast.

Hybrid
12-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Any of you complainers feel free to step up to the plate. I did it for about 4 or 5 months and stopped when people kept giving me the "My set up isn't good enough yet" even though everyone else on the site thought it was. It takes a lot of time and effort to do it. Coordinating picture taking, writing up the information, coding the page, etc. It is a lot of work and hearing the excuses gets old real fast.

:ohsnap::shocked:... Step up fellas. Someone get this going again.

acbaldwin
12-22-2009, 03:22 AM
I thought we all agreed on doing this quarterly a while back... Are we back to (supposedly) monthly?
I submit that quarterly provides the proper balance of nice tanks available and time investment for the TOTQ "coordinator".

smirkis
12-22-2009, 07:44 AM
anyone who complains "my tank isn't ready yet" is proly right tho. if it aint ready i wouldn't wanna see it either, or atleast see it labled as a tank of the month which should be held with kind of honor and a blessing. its almost like winning a trophy isn't it? and getting one before u hit the finish line is kinda weird.

but i love seeing tanks thru the whole process, so don't get me wrong. but don't know if i'd wanna see a tank in progress as totm. unless it was nearing completion.

wish i could help out, i know stuff like this takes a lot of work and dedicating free time which for a lot of us is hard

Pescaiolo
12-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Instead of doing a TOTM why not do a Photo of the month. The members can vote on it and the winner gets their pic put up on the main page along with some info about the species and their set up for that month. Just my 2 cents....

acbaldwin
12-22-2009, 08:49 AM
That's a pretty good idea.
I forsee a Winner's Circle that consists of Jessy, barometer, and Nick_Kun all year round.

Pescaiolo
12-22-2009, 09:23 AM
LOL that would be funny. You can have rules like if you win you can't win for the next 6 months, kinda like radio contests. That way it gives the rest of us a chance. Another good rule is you cannot nominate yourself and have to nominate someone else. If someone is nominated then someone else cannot nominate them again(obviously). Another rule could be only pictures posted on sdreefs.com threads qualify for POTM. There are a few other boards I frequent that do POTM and it works really well.

DaveMorris
12-22-2009, 11:39 AM
anyone who complains "my tank isn't ready yet" is proly right tho. if it aint ready i wouldn't wanna see it either, or atleast see it labled as a tank of the month which should be held with kind of honor and a blessing. its almost like winning a trophy isn't it? and getting one before u hit the finish line is kinda weird.

I completely disagree. Yes TOTM is a trophy of sorts and as such if the people of SDR have claimed that it is worthy, then it is. Period. When I was doing the TOTM I was able to publish maybe 4 tanks and then all I got from people, regardless of what their tank looked like, was "I don't like the way it looks" or "I don't want to have pictures taken of it". If someone doesn't want their tank to be TOTM, then I respect that. However, trying to get enough tanks to keep a program like TOTM alive became impossible. I told Justin this when he started it back up and he tried a different approach. When my tank was being highlighted I had two people show up to my house to look at it.

Bottom line is this: Any kind of regular program like TOTM will only work if the users of this site support it. And history has shown that the users of this site do not support it. I would love to see it going again, but I'm not holding my breath.

smirkis
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM
i totally see where your coming from dave. and i didn't mean anything i said in a bad way.

a TOTM is tough, it takes time and maturity. but i totally agree with u on those who have a nice tank which is praised by many but still claim he or she doesn't like it and its not "ready" for totm.

maybe we should do TOTQ or sumthin. so its 4 per year and it gives people a chance to grow out for it and work on it?

duecejt
12-22-2009, 02:15 PM
We SDReefers should be able to vote month to month or quarter to quarter. If you tank isn't up to par then you shouldn't submit you tank. The pic idea is a good one but....not all of us have super nice cameras with the equipment and skills to take the shot. I would love to have someone come shoot my tank just for my own records. I like to see shots from a year ago just to see how big the corals have gotten. If I had the computer skills and the time I would help out with the TOTM. Someone please help us out!

jrod11
12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Has anyone thought about a TOTM from a constructive criticism standpoint?

I think i could be really cool so that people can have some pointers to help their tank out and do things differently. i for one would be up for this.

There is so much knowledge available in the community that it would be awesome to have discussions about my tank and how i could do things BETTER in my living room.

DaveMorris
12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
One of my approaches when I was doing the TOTM was to concentrate more on the methods and ways that a particular tank was put together instead of focusing solely on the corals and fish. It was still like pulling teeth to get anybody out there that was willing to let their tank be featured. Even some of the people that have complained about not having TOTM in the past as well as some that have been complaining recently have not been willing to step up to the plate and feature their tanks. Go figure.

jrod11
12-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Let me run this by my room mate and see how he would feel about me doing this.

i think after a tank crash, this is the best time to get input! i have been humbled greatly by this crash :(

Pescaiolo
12-23-2009, 09:17 AM
You can put my tank up there but it looks like crap. :)

duecejt
12-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I would be honored to win TOTM on SDReefs! Mine looks OK. Who wants to come snap some pics?

palmer619
12-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Someone needs to post a "Help Wanted Ad"--- Project Manager for Reef Website. "No Pay-Just for Play". Maybe a college student could be recruited for extra credits or special projects

dese
01-15-2010, 09:34 PM
+1000 palmer... Duecejt for TOTM!!!!

JHAI4
01-15-2010, 09:58 PM
I stopped for two reasons.

1) Highly disrespectful, unappreciative owner of the site
2) Work constraints (secondary reason)

I went out of my way to pick the ball up completely solo to take photo's chase people around who committed then backed etc... Only to have the owner of the site completely ignore October's TOTM and couldn't be bothered to simply replace the links on the front page. The amount of time it took me to do the photo shoots, travel time, cross checking for coherent sentences, spell check, HTML coding etc.. was astronomical.

I never once got an email from the owner saying thank you directly, not that I could really care but that fact that my good faith effort which only benefited his site was completely ignored and to this day has not apologized for ignoring the effort and or placing the link on the front page simply put my back-up and I found that to be insulting and disrespectful to a loyal premium customer of 3 years.

My gestour was to keep some excitement up in a time when tear downs were announced almost hourly. I had nothing to gain but to try and make this hobby and this site more enjoyable and bring the community together via tank tours and TOTM's etc... Good luck to whom ever picks up this ball but do not expect to get support from the owner.

DaveMorris
01-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Hate to beat a dead horse here, BUT (commence horse beating here) I told you so. There aren't enough people here on this site that are interested in it enough to keep it going. That includes the people who have the permissions to post the thread up on the first page. More importantly though, there aren't enough users on this site that care about it. There has never been, and in my opinion never will be, enough user support to make all of the hard work and valuable time spent worth it. It's too bad, too. There are a lot of really nice tanks out there that are going unappreciated by the masses.

Thanks for your valiant effort Justin. I appreciated it, especially after having tried it myself.

ReefMaster
01-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Thank You Justin