PDA

View Full Version : snow effect eats CPU - please turn off!

willp2
12-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I mentioned this in another thread already, but thought it deserves its own mention.

Just having a web page open to sdreefs.com with the snow effect running eats around 20% of the processor. This makes our computers slower and wastes power. This is way more power needed than just about anything I have ever seen for just sitting at a web page.

On the plus side, I've been using sdreefs.com to stress test the cooling on the CPU of a system suspected of overheating its processor. Run a few browsers open to sdreefs and max out the CPU and watch it heat up. Sure enough I was able to kill the machine and figure out that the cooling wasn't up to par. So thanks for that.

Please turn off this affect or get a different version that is more CPU friendly. This is no longer about aesthetics.

Thanks,
-Will

dnraiders
12-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Really? Maybe put an option for users to choose to turn it off? I'm using my iPhone and I have no problem just that the snow makes me think I have dead pixels on my screen.

willp2
12-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Didn't think to try the iPhone, but on the PC using both IE and Firefox and acbaldwin verified the same thing on his and PC's.

bpro32
12-19-2009, 03:04 PM
my ipod gets retarded when I'm on sdr as well... way slower than I should be.

acbaldwin
12-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Please turn off this affect or get a different version that is more CPU friendly. This is no longer about aesthetics.

+1. At least 20% additional on five or six different machines I've tested, all from different PC & Mac hardware configs all the way up to a dual quad core mac with 6GB RAM.

Just tried the same on my AMD gaming PC at home, and it's a solid 50% drain versus 0% at SDR homepage.

hughjaas
12-19-2009, 03:35 PM
+++ using 50% of one my cores when visting this site with google chrome just for an overdone effect. it would be cool if the snow piled up on the bottom of the page, but it's getting pretty old now.

at least give us an option.

smirkis
12-19-2009, 04:04 PM
i've complained 2 christmas seasons in a row now lol.

dnraiders
12-19-2009, 04:41 PM
How about making the snow flakes bigger so we can see all the beautiful patterns and details.

nahtanoj
12-19-2009, 05:37 PM
i agree, they are too small to enjoy.

DaveMorris
12-20-2009, 03:38 PM
I think some of you need to get a real computer. I have not seen any noticable slow down on my little netbook, my desktop PC (hot rodded CAD machine) or my Macbook Pro (regardless of if it is running WinXP or Leopard.

kthehun89
12-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm with Dave on this one. I'm viewing on my Macbook and no slow down. It is, however, quite annoying. There's no snow in SD anyway lol

smirkis
12-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I've tested it on more then 5 diff pc's at school, both my home comps, both my work comps, and every one was pushed an extra 20-50% on processor speed.

when on laptops, it kicks on the fans when sdr is logged in

willp2
12-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Sorry guys, this doesn't have anything to do with the power of our computers. Frankly my computer rocks and has enough head room that I don't notice it all that much.

This has to do with wasting the power and resources of the computer regardless of what we are using. After all this is a forum about reef tanks, not an over clocking forum.

People like me that spend our lives monitoring computers and trying to get them to perform their best do notice. That's why this is so frustrating. Just to hang out on this great site, I have something that is using more power from my computer than any other thing I have running. The resource usage is on par with a nasty virus or run away application.

Now back to the horsepower issue, what about all those users using an older computer or a netbook? They should just have to deal with a static forum website using their precious CPU resources? Personally, I think that sucks.

JAHGYDI
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
it makes mine faster

Som1else
12-20-2009, 05:18 PM
+1. At least 20% additional on five or six different machines I've tested, all from different PC & Mac hardware configs all the way up to a dual quad core mac with 6GB RAM.

Just tried the same on my AMD gaming PC at home, and it's a solid 50% drain versus 0% at SDR homepage.

Ill just say it then......Who Cares!? If you want to save some energy shut off your 5+ computers! That and so what if its an extra drain on cpu resources, what else are you doing at the exact same time you are viewing sdreefs? :lol:

dbrooks
12-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I think some of you need to get a real computer. I have not seen any noticable slow down on my little netbook, my desktop PC (hot rodded CAD machine) or my Macbook Pro (regardless of if it is running WinXP or Leopard.
+1 Engleberg, quit your cruddy belly aching. Enjoy the snow.

dnraiders
12-20-2009, 06:01 PM
how about a santa with deers fly across the screen every time we click on a new link on sdreefs?

dwrig
12-20-2009, 07:40 PM
mine runs cooler

Two Bit Scooter
12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
mine runs cooler

Probably does, snow is cold after all...
But is it slower?

socalaly
12-20-2009, 09:59 PM

+1 Happy Holidays people... relax its suppose to be a mood lifter... relax.

Caro C
12-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I HEART THE SNOWFLAKES :)

They make me happy!

the end.

dnraiders
12-20-2009, 10:06 PM
some like it some dont, why not just an option to that allows you to either keep it on or turn it off

Two Bit Scooter
12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Try Tools->Options->Content and uncheck 'Enable Javascript' in Firefox.

willp2
12-21-2009, 12:27 AM
OK, amazing that this doesn’t drive everyone crazy. Just one more time, this is not about the looks, it’s all about performance. Hell we all bust or asses and spend small fortunes to get the best performance out of our tanks, but when it comes to the computer, we’re fine with giving away performance. Sort of like saying, I’m Ok not running a protein skimmer. Still works, just not as well.

Anyway, you can turn off the snow effect virus in Internet Explorer by clicking on Tools / Internet Options / Security, then click on Restricted sites and add sdreefs as a restricted site. I’m sure you can do the same for a specific site on other browsers.

So there you go, don’t mind giving up computer resources leave it as is. Want to get the most out of your computer, lock down the site in your browser.

fish king
12-21-2009, 12:45 AM
wgas decipher this code

acbaldwin
12-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Ill just say it then......Who Cares!? If you want to save some energy shut off your 5+ computers! That and so what if its an extra drain on cpu resources, what else are you doing at the exact same time you are viewing sdreefs? :lol:

Usually I'm encoding video, ripping music, ripping DVDs... I could go on. There are tons of processor intensive tasks that are run in the background.

For me, encoding video is the biggest.

kjsreef
12-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the tip on adding sdreefs to the restricted sites. Everything is performing so much better now.

paralabrax
12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
I hate the snow effect it makes think I am seeing things and hurts my eyes please no more snow

Batman
12-21-2009, 03:55 PM
First : I like the snow :)

Second : My 4 year old PoS Dell that I have no clue inside of it, works fine for me on this site.

socalaly
12-21-2009, 03:59 PM
People quit your griping! Atleast its fake snow and you are in 78 degree weather in San Diego. It could be worse! You could be stuck in a snow storm! You could be in Montana with the weather at -11 but feeling like -35! If it bugs you that much use SDR and then when you are video editing etc turn off sdr!

acbaldwin
12-21-2009, 04:23 PM
turn off sdr!

BLASPHEMY

socalaly
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
BLASPHEMY LOL

Merry Christmas :) or Happy Holidays

acbaldwin
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
LOL

Merry Christmas :) or Happy Holidays

And the same to you! :)

sgriffin760
01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
i thought i was tripping when i first saw them

smirkis
01-05-2010, 10:05 AM
its over! this next 11 months is gonna feel great lol

Dencentron
01-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I miss the snow! It made me remember the time I went to Copper Colorado for a few days were it was -45 degrees with the wind chill!