PDA

View Full Version : Mounting tips

Reefkeeper
05-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Ok, I think I am losing my grasp with reality. I thought I knew how to mount xenia pretty easily, but I am not having any luck. So I guess I need a refresh course on the easiest way to get the sucker to stay where I put it.

As memory serves, for xenia you could either try to glue its bottom to where you wanted to mount it...although this was considered somewhat difficult and not the best method.

Alternatively, you could try the natural method which was careful place the xenia so that it was wedged up against the area you wanted it to grow onto. It would take a little while but it would naturally attach.

The last method I know was just a modified version of the wedge method. You would take the xenia stalk and loosely tie it to the piece of rock you wanted it to attach to with some line. After a week or so, you would careful cut off the line and the xenia would be good to go. The key on that method was tying the line loose enough that the animal wasnt being crushed, but tight enough to keep it against the rock.

That said, yesterday I obtained to pieces of unmounted xenia. The larger of the two pieces has remained where I placed it. It appears that it will attach there without any trouble.

The second piece was slightly smaller. I used a piece of branch rubble to make an area where the stalk would have some support. Unfortunately, it keeps falling off its perch. I watched what it did and noticed that when it fully extends the flagi...it was pulling in its base. Thus removing it from the holding area.

Its stalk is so short I dont know if tying it would even work and there really isnt enough of a base to glue it. So....anyone have an idea (other than give it to me).

mer116
05-14-2005, 11:39 AM
get a small glass cup, put your rock you want it to attach to and put the xenia in there

treylane
05-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Just set some on a rock, put another rock on top of it so it doesn't fly away. Usually attaches to both rocks in under 24 hours.