PDA

View Full Version : Help with Nano-Cube Light

64physhy
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
The light on my 28G Nano Cube HQI keeps shutting off then coming back on. I replaced the bulb and the ballast, but it keeps doing it. I also checked the fans, and all 4 are working. I have 2 fans pushing and 2 pulling for flow over the bulb. Any ideas what could be causing it? Thanks
Dave

bpro32
12-15-2009, 04:00 PM
are you using a gfi?

afitzwater
12-15-2009, 04:03 PM
where are you located? maybe someone can come land a hand

64physhy
12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
It's not plugged into a GFI. It was fine until I replaced the bulb (because it was old), then the ballast died, was doing this for a while, then went off all together, so I got a new ballast, and it keeps shutting off and on. I'm in Escondido. I might see if Chris (Lotsafishies) has any ideas.

64physhy
12-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, Chris was here and doesn't know. Thinks possibly overheating. Doesn't seem like it should be overheating. It did during the hottest part of summer, but with it being a lot cooler in the house now, it doesn't seem like it should be. I have the ballast sitting on spacers made of hose to get air circulation around it. ANy ideas?

LotsaFishies
12-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Just some more info: only the light is flicking off / on, everything else remains on, unaffected.

The light is shutting off after being on for ~10-20 minutes...

64physhy
12-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I put a fan in the cabinet. I'll see if it keeps it up tomorrow.

64physhy
12-16-2009, 04:44 AM
morning bump

619andyp
12-16-2009, 05:59 AM
It really sounds like over heating. The JBJ HQIs have a feature that protects the canopy from catching fire. If the light gets too hot, it automatically turns off. When the canopy has cooled, it automatically turns back on. Since it is turning off after being on for ten or twenty minutes, then automatically turns back on again, this is probably the case. I know you said the fans still work but I would think they might need to be replaced anyways. Also, you could call JBJ and have them trouble shoot with you. I have called them before and they were willing to help with all my questions.

64physhy
12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
The fan blowing on the ballast did no good. I'll check out the fixture. I'll try calling JBJ tomorrow.

ajn81
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I had this problem before with one of my HQI lights, it would turn itself off every 15 minutes or so. I replaced the bulb and never again had the problem.

**The bulb that was causing the problem was only about a month old, so I'm guessing there was something wrong with it.

vinny73
12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Have you checked the terminals where the bulb fits in? If you lose contact for just a milisecond, the light will not come back on for a period of time. It's a built in safeguard. Obviously a pita but I would check there. The connections are copper. I would check for continuity of your wires from the bulb terminals to the ballast. Like I said, if you lose contact for a split second, it will shut off. If you have a weak connection, the wires will heat up and expand. If you have stranded wire, and only 1 wire is touching, it heats up and expands, it will break the connection until it cools and goes back into place. Also check to make sure the bulb is getting a tight fit in the terminals. HTH, Vinny

vinny73
12-16-2009, 06:05 PM
I had this problem before with one of my HQI lights, it would turn itself off every 15 minutes or so. I replaced the bulb and never again had the problem.

**The bulb that was causing the problem was only about a month old, so I'm guessing there was something wrong with it.

Now there's a great idea! Try your old bulb if you still have it. You could very easily got a crappy bulb!

64physhy
12-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Hope it's not the bulb. This all started when I put a new bulb in.

64physhy
12-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Threw the old bulb away already. I took the bulb out and blew the hood out with an air compressor. A lot of crap came out from under the reflector shield and from all the crevices. The new bulb is much more intense than the old one (the old one was about a year and a half old, which is why I changed it). I'm thinking (hoping) that the new intense light is putting off more heat and the crap in there was enough to block airflow just enough to cause the overheat. It's been on for about 20 minutes now without shutting off. Hopefully, it's good.
Is the round thing on the back side of the reflector the thermostat that causes shutdown?

vinny73
12-16-2009, 08:28 PM
If you just now blew out the hood, then yes you must have a thermal shutdown do to lack of ventilation. That round thing, I do believe is the thermostat. Keep us informed.

64physhy
12-17-2009, 04:26 AM
I ran it for about an hour last night with no shut downs. I had kind of cleaned it up before, by blowing in the vents and wiping with a cloth, but the air compressor got all kinds of hidden crap out. Hopefully, this is it.

64physhy
12-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Well, seems to be better now. I'm gone in the morning before they come on, and get home a couple hours before they go off and haven't seen it shutting off in the evening. I guess I'll know for sure this weekend when I can see them throughout the day.

64physhy
02-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Help again...it started back up about a week ago. The ballast is new, bulb is new, all fans are working, and it's clean. Only thing I can think of is the temperature sensor that shuts the light off when it gets too hot is malfunctioning. I've been looking all over trying to find one, but don't know the correct name for it. I looked on the JBJ (Nano Cube) website, but they don't have it on their site. Tried calling a couple times, but no answer, so I emailed them and am still waiting for a reply. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe just by-pass the temp switch?

NickSDC
02-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd say no on the temp switch bypass. I'd try posting in yahoo answers and checking nanoreef. Also call jbj again until you get an answer. With everything you tried i'd say it's the temp sensor. If all else fails you could always buy my hqi hood. =)

64physhy
02-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm thinking of getting the new LED hood. I'm tired of dealing with this HQI one.

NickSDC
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
You should, it's sick. But, in any event you decide to go w/ the hqi hood, I'll sell you mine for 120. Two owners, 3-5 months of use.

willp2
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Definetly try JBJ again. I've contacted them several times about different things and they have been great. For instance I sent in an email saying my fans were too loud, and a couple of days later new fans show up in the mail. Never had to do a proof of purchase or anything.

Be a pest if you need to. Even if they wont give you the part they sell spares of everything.

64physhy
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Definetly try JBJ again. I've contacted them several times about different things and they have been great. For instance I sent in an email saying my fans were too loud, and a couple of days later new fans show up in the mail. Never had to do a proof of purchase or anything.

Be a pest if you need to. Even if they wont give you the part they sell spares of everything.

They replaced the ballast for free, even though the warranty had been up for almost a year.