PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Spam software for Outlook.

pk-sd
05-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Anti-Spam software for Outlook.

Looking for recommendations on anti-spam software for outlook. I have been using ihatespam for few years now. It’s not too bad, but I am hoping there is something better out there by now.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

PK

shmitr
05-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Client side...good luck (let us know if you find anything), server side, there're quite a few that work okay. But without access to the mail server it's tough.

The only thing I've been able to make work is sign up for a dummy email (hotmail, yahoo, etc) then use that address for everything except reliable sources.

jrjuiliano
05-14-2005, 07:00 AM
Yeah but even client side... with an ISP like cox or something you still end up getting junk mail even if you NEVER USED THE ADDRESS.

I think what you have is probably going to work the best. I stopped using Outlook at home so I don't have a good answer other than what you're using is pretty good.

I know spamassassin is available for Windows users but it requires a whole bunch of dependencies that I don't think you want to bother with (perl libraries, etc.)

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/InstallingOnWindows

My only other suggestion is to try Mozilla Thunderbird mail client. It has a built-in Bayesian spam filter that works pretty well; just needs to 'learn' different spam patterns to become most effective. But you probably want to keep Outlook as your mail client.

dbrooks
05-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I am assuming that you use Outlook at home, but are pulling email from some sort of service (Yahoo, hotmail, etc).

I have a yahoo account that gets a horrific amount of spam, which I pull over to Outlook.

Yahoo actually has a very good spam filter on it that filters 99% of the crap.

Go to whatever service you are using - they probably have a filte that you can use.

DB

ConUSsd
05-14-2005, 02:04 PM
what version of office are you using? the 2003 version of outlook is supposed to have really good spam filtering software already built in to it. i've used it on one of my email accts and it really has worked great.

pk-sd
05-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I am using 2002. Maybe time to upgrade to 2003. Since I am pulling emails from many different email addresses (10; for my online business). So I really need client side protection.

I just downloaded "Qurb" anti-spam software. Seems to work better than ihatespam, but you have to look at the quarantined messages regularly as it will filter legitimate messages.