PDA

View Full Version : no power for the past 11hrs

CardiffReef
12-14-2009, 09:32 AM
hey guys as you probly know the power in carlsbad la costa area went out last night at 10:30pm and its still not on. my tank has been down for the past 11 hrs and im tripping:shocked: out the temp has droped to 72ish and no O2. what should i do to keep the tank from crashing ?? please let me know what you think do you know where i can get a battery air pump for cheap?:curse::confused2::cry:

jrod11
12-14-2009, 09:39 AM
I would suggest going to petco and grabbing some of those battery operated airstones.

I would also check online to see when they expect it to hopefully be back up. That way you can decide if it is worth trying to get your hands on a generator. Did you call all your friends and family looking for a generator? maybe someone on here has one?

junkie
12-14-2009, 10:31 AM
You can use a cordless drill with a paint stirring bit to agitate the water and help in arrairating the water along with creating some flow. Also you could heat up some water on the stove (if it's not electric) and float a bottle of warm water in the sump to help keep it warm. Good luck, hope everything turns out ok.

Techknowledgy
12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Battery operated air stones are a MUST. Check at Tri-City Tropicals in Vista. They are close and George is a great guy.

CardiffReef
12-14-2009, 10:45 AM
thanks guys going to get a batt air stone right now stove is electric so im SOL on that one. appreciate the help

jrod11
12-14-2009, 11:04 AM
You can use a cordless drill with a paint stirring bit to agitate the water and help in arrairating the water along with creating some flow. Also you could heat up some water on the stove (if it's not electric) and float a bottle of warm water in the sump to help keep it warm. Good luck, hope everything turns out ok.

good points, but if the power is off, shouldnt the warm water bottle be in the display and not the sump?

jason142
12-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Is your water heater gas or electric, you could turn up the temp on the water heater making it really hot and use that in a water bottle to help keep the temp in the display up.

cdgardner11
12-14-2009, 11:16 AM
good points, but if the power is off, shouldnt the warm water bottle be in the display and not the sump?

I agree in the display, but depending on the size of his tank this would be an uphill battle.

What is the size of your tank?

junkie
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
By puting it in the sump you can use your lips to manualy suck the sump water into the display water back into the display tank thus creating more flow:crazy: sorry thinking one thing typing another

kisola
12-14-2009, 11:20 AM
same thing happened to me. Im right off the beach near Tamarack. Power just came on an hour ago.
my corals seem ok.
lost almost all my fish....i am so bummed right now. My clowns are fighting to stay alive. I hope they make it.
i called SDGE and they said it was a planned outage. Nice of them to let me know.

sgriffin760
12-15-2009, 05:09 PM
i feel you pain im in carlsbad friday night the power went out for a while( just picked up new rock and corals and in the process oout go the lights) psit very pist good luck with it my neighbor was freaking out too

iwantone
12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
If you have a sump, just take water from it and pore it in the main tank every hour. Make sure all your windows are closed to keep the heat on

CardiffReef
12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
thanks for all the help guys the tank was down for about 18hrs i didnt have time to buy a batt pwrd air stone because i was at work so i just hoped for the best. Got home after work and the fish seemed fine considering i only have 2 clowns, the water droped to about 70 but thats about it. sorry to hear all your fish died KISOLA i called SDGE and they said the power going out at 1030pm was not scheduled and if i had any loss to call and they would make a damage report and can refund your loss. i sure hope all this madness is fixed cause im going to hawaii for the next 3 wks and i hope i dont come home to a disaster. knock on wood

acbaldwin
12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Good to hear. Clowns love the surface in my experience which makes them ideal during low-oxygen circumstances.

Rob619
12-16-2009, 12:59 PM
i just ordered a battery powered airpump from custom aquatic!