PDA

View Full Version : What are these little white things?

sonnybihis
05-12-2005, 12:48 PM
I just started noticing these little off-white things on some of my liverock, as well as on the Chaetomorpha in my refugium. They're all different sizes, no bigger than 1/8" in. They look like little fuzzy mounds with something sticking a little bit out of the tip. I pulled one out of the Chaeto and cut it open. It kinda looks like a little egg sack. I tried to take a pic w/ my digital camera, but it can't focus on them. I'll keep trying, but in the mean time if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks!

Reefkeeper
05-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Without seeing it, many times you will find little white things appearing in your tank if you are overfeeding. These are a type of micro sponge. You dont need to do anything about it, but rather they will disappear as you get your system under control.

Given what you said, that is my guess.

sonnybihis
05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks. I noticed that a few of them are smaller than they originally were. Hopefully I can get a pic of them for confirmation. Thanks again!

Phischy
05-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Check to see if your camera has a macro mode, you'll need this setting 'on' in order to take photo's of object that are 1 to 6" from the lense. A tripod also helps, just to keep the camera steady along with good lighting.

sonnybihis
05-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it when I get home.

Dannyboy
05-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Does it look like these?
http://shop.uwphoto.no/detail.asp?product_id=esv070cd22

Phischy
05-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I've got those in my sump. Someone told me the common name is pineapple sponge. And that I shouldn't worry about 'em. That true? I did some research on wetwebmedia.com and it didn't say they were horrible, just sponges.

peterluber
05-12-2005, 03:59 PM
if they are spirals they are tubeworms. i have a bunch in my dead spot with low light also. no harmful effects. i cant tell by your description, though, they might be the sponges

sonnybihis
05-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Dannyboy: yeah, that's what they look like. I don't have any that have holes in the tops of them yet, just the ones with the two little things sticking out. Too bad it doesn't describe them more. So are they a concern? Thanks for the help!

jrjuiliano
05-13-2005, 05:29 AM
I have one or two of those on a piece of rock that has my toadstool on it, and so far it hasn't done anything.

I'm pretty sure it's safe. But if anyone has extra info...