PDA

View Full Version : No editing feedback

NickSDC
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Say i sold you 100lbs of ls. You take my word for it and get home to find out it's only 70lbs. I leave you positive feedback. You leave me negative. And inspite of your negative, I edit my post to sway the board. Which helps me take advantage of another user on here. And it could be for anything, a sick fish that someone said wasn't, id of a chalice that you weren't familiar with, or a sump that leaks when it was believed not to. I think the guys that sell alot on here would agree. Whats your guys thoughts?

acbaldwin
12-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Sounds fair to me.

PS... it's... snowing?

nahtanoj
12-08-2009, 04:40 PM
if weight is an issue bring a scale. obviously the amount you saw with your eyes regardless of weight was worth the price. if i sell a 4" fish and it ends up being 4.25" when you get home, i don't get to charge extra, do i?
it is not only the responsibility of the seller to be educated, but the buyer as well. you as a buyer need to educate yourself from sources other than a seller and a LFS of what you are getting, how to take care of it, and how much it usually sells for.
i see complaints often of "i payed $20 for this, at my LFS it's only $5" no one to blame but the buyer. the seller sold something at a set price that at the time, you thought was fair, and you paid it. deal with it.

oops, i'm editing. i hope this doesn't come off the wrong way. i do agree that you should not edit feedback. my point it buyer beware, and be educated. if you see the item and agree to the price, later details no longer matter. you made the deal as is. it is up to the BUYER to make sure they are getting the deal they want. if the seller is misrepresenting something, don't buy it.

SDguy
12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Use quotes. People can't edit what you quote from them.

NickSDC
12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
if weight is an issue bring a scale. obviously the amount you saw with your eyes regardless of weight was worth the price. if i sell a 4" fish and it ends up being 4.25" when you get home, i don't get to charge extra, do i?
it is not only the responsibility of the seller to be educated, but the buyer as well. you as a buyer need to educate yourself from sources other than a seller and a LFS of what you are getting, how to take care of it, and how much it usually sells for.
i see complaints often of "i payed $20 for this, at my LFS it's only $5" no one to blame but the buyer. the seller sold something at a set price that at the time, you thought was fair, and you paid it. deal with it.

You are exactly right, I agree with you 100 percent. Every purchase/sale should be a well informed decision with both parties, and if someones unhappy, it's up to the users here to decide who's right/wrong. But we can only decide when the information is accurate. If I said "the lps you sold me looks great", then I can't go back and say "it looked sick to begin with". Editing feedback leaves it open to giving someone misleading info.

benzeeno
12-09-2009, 12:51 AM
I was misled buying some live rock and tried drilling it to find out it was crusty pot rock. I knew he had it mixed in and tried to avoid it but ended up paying $25 for about 10 lbs of pot rock, I think that's what it is looks like lava rock. I did get some good live rock too. So maybe it was a wash.

My point is sometimes you win sometimes you loose. It's up to the buyer to do their homework and know what you are buying.

willp2
12-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Use quotes. People can't edit what you quote from them.

But of course I can change what's in the quotes in my message right? So I can quote you saying anything I want.

acbaldwin
12-15-2009, 09:04 AM
But of course I can change what's in the quotes in my message right? So I can quote you saying anything I want.

Also, I hate babies, kittens, and puppies.

That's very true.

willp2
12-15-2009, 09:16 AM
That's very true. Another remarkably insightful comment Will. Thanks so much!
You just made my morning. Thanks for the chuckle.

SDguy
12-15-2009, 09:48 AM

I'm not sure I see you point :confused:

Let's take the OP's example. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that he was saying the guy changes his original for sale post to now read 70lbs instead of 100lbs, like he originally posted. My point is that if the buyer originally responds to the OP and quotes him, that quote will forever say 100lbs, even if the OP changes his post to read 70lbs.

Was that the point of this thread, or am I reading it wrong?

willp2
12-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I think the point is that there is a permanent record in case of a dispute or misunderstanding. My point about the quotes is that they can be manipulated to say whatever you want, just as the original post can be changed. So if there is a dispute about something, someone could change the quote to match their story. Unlikely, but easy enough.

SDguy
12-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I think the point is that there is a permanent record in case of a dispute or misunderstanding. My point about the quotes is that they can be manipulated to say whatever you want, just as the original post can be changed. So if there is a dispute about something, someone could change the quote to match their story. Unlikely, but easy enough.

But they would not be able to change the original post that they quoted, only their quote of it.

willp2
12-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Right, but let’s say the original post was changed. Than all bets are off. I change my post; you change your quote of what I said. Anarchy ensues and we end up in some post-apocalyptic Road Warrior state.

Anyway the point was simply that just as the original message can be changed, so can the quote. If the original message was edited for any reason, the other party can say they change the details etc.

Honestly I don’t think it’s that big an issue in the first place and probably hardly ever comes up. I was just pointing out that the quote while helpful can still leave some doubt.

PS - That tanker in Road Warrier is filled with Scripts water in our reality.

SDguy
12-15-2009, 10:15 AM
I guess I just need to see an example since I'm not getting this.

If one pops up, feel free to link me to it.

willp2
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Not sure if there are any now. I think / hope this is all just hypothetical. Although there was for instance of he said / he said stuff in that Andy3000 feedback thread and accompanying multimedia presentation. Maybe that’s where this stems from.