PDA

View Full Version : Son of a. . .

Dakota
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Well, I was afraid this would happen. . . I have flatworms.. LOTS of them.... Does flatworm exit work w/o killing pods? In anycase, it's only a few of them, but I ain't takin' any chances. . . Does anyone have some that I could borrow??

obarrera
05-09-2005, 05:04 PM
What color are the flatworms?
I've heard the white ones aren't that bad.

colindoug3
05-09-2005, 05:55 PM
sorry, no advice. i just thought it was funny how you said "LOTS of them" and then one sentence later you say "in any case, its only a few of them"
:D

Dakota
05-09-2005, 07:29 PM
well.. there's a lot localized in my fuge. They seem brownish.. maybe slightly orangish. . . and they're all real small right now.

treylane
05-10-2005, 06:20 AM
If you do it right and siphon out as many as you can before dosing, and then filter like crazy afterwards, FW exit will kill flatworms without killing anything else.

nkb1883
05-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Blue Velvet Nudibranchs & Harlequin Shrimp get rid of flatworms. They both eats flatworms exclusively unless your shrimp is trained on frozen foods.

Octopuss Garden has a couple harlequin shrimp for sale and they MIGHT have a nudibranch too.

Dannyboy
05-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Harlequin shrimp eat starfish exclusively, not flatworms. If there are not that many and they are just in the fuge, I wouldn't even worry about it. I have had them in my seahorse tank for months now and they never cause any problem. They just look ugly when there are so many they create a mat, but besides that they are pretty harmless.

MrKrispy
05-10-2005, 10:06 AM
yeah definitely try flatworm exit before the nudi, most people don't have setups that won't puree nudibranchs. The logical conclusion to a puree'd nudi filled with flatworm toxins isn't a good one.

treylane
05-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Yup, ignore or dose FWE. Don't bother getting nudis or wrasses or something to clean up the problem for you - FWE is safer, more effective, and easier to care for. :)

Dakota
05-10-2005, 01:03 PM
thanks guys. I'll see if a dose of FWE will do the trick. There's already more of them today! :eek:

MrKrispy
05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
I had a boom of them a while back and just waited them out, most of them disappeared. There are maybe a dozen now for the last few months, there never seem to be more than that or less than that. They always hang out on the same corner of rock that doesn't have any corals, so I leave them alone.

I had some in my frag tank that were getting rampant and got a velvet nudi. That thing ruled, but I quickly was running out of flatworms so I traded it back in before it starved. Of course the worms came back in strength so I nuked them with FWE. It was simple, and didn't seem to affect anything.

Dakota
05-11-2005, 07:32 AM
well, I nuked the fuge (shut off the supply water), and WOW.. there were a TON of them in there. After the carnage, I re-supplied the water to dilute the toxins down and caught most of them in my filter sock. Hopefully they were just localized in he fuge. We'll see!