PDA

View Full Version : Now what's wrong with my Onyx?

goody
11-21-2009, 02:05 PM
You probably know that I was dealing or am dealing with brook and lost one of my Onyx clowns. Now the one I have left has developed some pink/red "bumps". There are two underneath its mouth and one near the tail. Any ideas and what I do for treatment. I am probably going to buy one picasso from Will and now I am wondering if this guy is going to make it or not and if I should by a pair of picassos from will.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/good365/047-1.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/good365/046-1.jpg

kjsreef
11-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Any chance they have been hosting in something other than an anemone? Sometimes they can get stung from hosting in frogspawns and the like (at least until they develop a tougher slime coat and recognition to keep from getting stung).

goody
11-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Any chance they have been hosting in something other than an anemone? Sometimes they can get stung from hosting in frogspawns and the like (at least until they develop a tougher slime coat and recognition to keep from getting stung).

Well they didn't have any time in my tank because I noticed signs of Brook. Not sure about the LFS they were bought from, but I know Chris (lotsafishies) always buys livestock in very good health. The fish has been in a QT for the last week and I only have had it for 9 days.

nahtanoj
11-21-2009, 07:50 PM
what were you treating the brook with?
it looks like a secondary bacterial infection. a good +/- antibiotic should help.

goody
11-21-2009, 08:13 PM
what were you treating the brook with?
it looks like a secondary bacterial infection. a good +/- antibiotic should help.

Quick Cure and followed your earlier post for directions. Recommendation for an antibiotic?

LarryM
11-21-2009, 08:44 PM
DavidM recommended melafix to me and I have had good success using it in my QT's

nahtanoj
11-22-2009, 09:01 AM
kana-pro is the antibiotic i like.

goody
11-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Well, it had appeared that my fish was on the mend. Swimming around and breathing nicely, and even eating. I picked up a small bottle of Melafix to try and get rid of those red "infections", and a day later, it was dead. Is there any way the Melafix could have caused this? I followed directions on the bottle, just wondering if the water was overmedicated. I was still treating with Quick Cure. this was my first time using a hospital tank, so any clues on if I did something wrong, will help me out next time. thanks for any and all replies during this ordeal.

nahtanoj
11-25-2009, 11:15 AM
i generally don't mix meds unless i know how they will act together. it is possible it was due to mixing them, but it's tough to say. there could be any number of reasons for it's death.
doing a quickcure treatment longer than a week is rough on the fish as well. secondary bacterial infections aren't affected by the quick cure due to the slime coat of the fish, along with it being internal/under the skin.
treating fish for disease is 50% science, 50% experience, 90% luck. don't take the loss too hard.

goody
11-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks Jonathan for all your advice during this treatment. I bummed because I missed out on Will's picassos and Daveoceans Percs due to thinking this one was going to make it.