PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing

brynboy
05-09-2005, 09:41 AM
So I picked up a 125 predrilled with two holes for plumbing. I've never had a tank that used bulkheads for plumbing

Does anyone have any tips on plumbing this tank? Any how to articles on the net would be helpful also.

Thanks

suver569
05-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Reefcentral.com has some really knowledgable people when it comes to plumbing. I'm a newbie when it comes to it.

brynboy
05-09-2005, 07:19 PM
i've done alot of research today. i guess i'm making a big deal about nothing. from what i gather i need a bunch of pvc pipes, elbows, T's, and some ball valves(to regulate flow).

after all that i just need to know, how does the bulkhead part work? i've got the threaded piece that clamps around the hole, but what goes through the hole? i couldn't find any diagrams for this part on the net, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Dakota
05-09-2005, 07:30 PM
yeah, plumbing isn't that hard to get the hang of. I figured it out bit by bit. I also looked at a lot of pictures of peoples plumbing and stuff.

Hey, chap. Is that pic in your avitar one that I took?

SDMike
05-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Chap
Yep! Nice ain't it? :D

I'm skeered!

Looks like an alien about to munch on me...

M

SDMike
05-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by brynboy
i've done alot of research today. i guess i'm making a big deal about nothing. from what i gather i need a bunch of pvc pipes, elbows, T's, and some ball valves(to regulate flow).

after all that i just need to know, how does the bulkhead part work? i've got the threaded piece that clamps around the hole, but what goes through the hole? i couldn't find any diagrams for this part on the net, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Do yourself a favor go round and look at as many members' tanks as will let you. You'll get ideas on how to do your specific setup.

It ain't that hard... If I can do it, you can do it. It helps to have an extra pair of hands, so buy beer and pizza and I'll see what I can do.

More important hints: DO NOT put a ball valve on the overflows. Use the return to balance waterflow.

I plumbed my overflows with 1 1/2" spa flex. That way I didn't have to worry about getting EXACT cuts or having sharp bends. Yes, its more spendy, but I only had to cut things once.

I went up a size on the junctions so that the snails/etc that invariably end up in the overflows can pass to the sump. Restricting the overflow is BAD. Ask people that have had water pumped over their houses!

HTH,

M