PDA

View Full Version : help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

surfer85
11-16-2009, 06:00 PM
my boyfriend is at work, this is his baby and its not good so if any one can help that would be great
the heater has come apart in the tank, i took it out but now the tank is all cloudy and the corals are all sucked up and up happy.
i did a a water change of 30 gallons the tank is 150
any thing else i can do before he gets back???
has any one else had this happen???

nahtanoj
11-16-2009, 06:03 PM
run carbon if he has any. waterchange is about it other than that. it probably electrocuted the tank. are the fish still alive? if any are dead, pull the bodies out.

jrod11
11-16-2009, 06:15 PM
second the water change and carbon. can you call him? if i were him i would leave work for that in a heartbeat

surfer85
11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
fish are alive all acounted for, i think i got it quick. carbon is now in the tank. thank you

surfer85
11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
he is on his way but it will be an hour, so i am trying to do what i can.

seesquared
11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
your a good girlfriend, mine would just stare and point

afitzwater
11-16-2009, 06:43 PM
your a good girlfriend, mine would just stare and point

thats why im single :)

hows everything doing? keep us updated!

surfer85
11-16-2009, 06:50 PM
boyfriend is home he is cusing up a storm this is not good.... any other sugestions?

afitzwater
11-16-2009, 07:11 PM
is he still cussing? lol

surfer85
11-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Done cussing for now...my heart is sad. The original water change was 15 gallons. I just did another 20. My salinity in my reserve water is a little low but I figure lower salinity is better than whatever that.....and the rest would just be swearing so....back to the tank.

Therapy
11-16-2009, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=afitzwater;511255]thats why im single :)

Umm yeah, thats why. j/k

I think I am going with this heater, anybody know anything about it! I also use a couple glass heaters.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewItem.aspx?idProduct=JB1531&utm_source=mdhfl091106b3&utm_medium=mdfl&utm_term=mdhflTrueTemp091106b3Left&utm_content=mdhflb3Left&utm_campaign=mdhfl

afitzwater
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Umm yeah, thats why. j/k

I think I am going with this heater, anybody know anything about it!

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewItem.aspx?idProduct=JB1531&utm_source=mdhfl091106b3&utm_medium=mdfl&utm_term=mdhflTrueTemp091106b3Left&utm_content=mdhflb3Left&utm_campaign=mdhfl

what the hells that mean? :crazy:

surfer85
11-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Umm yeah, thats why. j/k

I think I am going with this heater, anybody know anything about it! I also use a couple glass heaters.

Oh how cool is this?? Thanks for chimming in with help...no sorry go ahead with your post off of mine asking for serious help...please my thread for urgent help saving my corals and fish is far less important than yours really funny oh so f#$@ing funny!

Really weak!!

afitzwater
11-16-2009, 07:44 PM
bump..........

Therapy
11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I apologize. Didn't realize my lame attempt at being kinda funny was gonna piss off two people. I don't know anthony, so probably shouldn't try and joke with him.
I was trying to help by pointing out a better heater option in the future. You already got great advice on how to fix the current problem. Water change and carbon.
My real post was to send a link of a possibly better heater. In the future a titanium unbreakable heater with a nice temperature gauge will be a heater you may look into to replace your exploding one.

surfer85
11-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Thank you for clearing the air waves. I snapped a little...it's a little stressful when a heater blows up in your tank. Again, thank you for clearing things up and thank you for the heater suggestion.

afitzwater
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
ill apologize too..if you were closer id def lend a helping hand...

group hug? :) come on !!!!!!!!!

hows everything looking?

surfer85
11-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Eh...Water is clearer now. The fish are acting like nothing is wrong. I've got two RBTAs that look like they are starting to open up and aren't quite as noodle-like. There are some zoas that look like they might be opening too. All my SPS are still extremely pissed off. They aren't completely bleached but definetly have lost a lot of color. So far I have done a 40 gallon water change. I'm going to do about another ten before I try to get some sleep for work. Tomorrow I'm going to go to scripps and get some more water and do another hefty water change. I think the LPS, fish, softies will be alright, not too sure on the SPS but I think most of them will pull through...I NEED A DRINK! I think the problem was caught rather quick too. I'm really glad my girlfriend decided to walk over to the tank and tell me that everything looked dead...yeah, my heart skipped a beat.

H4Rk3R
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Adam, I could lend you a couple of empty 55 gallon drums. I think two or three of my storage drums are empty. Or even lend you the full 55 gallon drum, so you dont have to drive all the way down to scripps. I don't know if they will fit in your truck tho. I also have eight 5 gallon water bottles and a pump if you just want to empty out the 55g.

I could also load up the empties into my truck and go down to scripps tonight (midnight) after work and fill them up for you? And you could pick them up from my house (1/2 way between you and scripps). Just hit me up with a call if you want any help and we can figure a way to get a lot of scripps to your house within the next 24 hours. =P

This happened to me earlier in the year, but It was like that for over 24 hours.... lost almost everything except the fish, LTA and softies.... my tank was unhappy for a month... very stressful to come home to a crashed tank... I made 3 trips to scrips with 8 five gallon water bottles in the back of a geo metro by the time the tank had cleared up... obviously happened before i bought my truck and the 55 gal drums.

Andrew
760-622-8533

surfer85
11-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Adam, I could lend you a couple of empty 55 gallon drums. I think two or three of my storage drums are empty. Or even lend you the full 55 gallon drum, so you dont have to drive all the way down to scripps. I don't know if they will fit in your truck tho. I also have eight 5 gallon water bottles and a pump if you just want to empty out the 55g.

I could also load up the empties into my truck and go down to scripps tonight (midnight) after work and fill them up for you? And you could pick them up from my house (1/2 way between you and scripps). Just hit me up with a call if you want any help and we can figure a way to get a lot of scripps to your house within the next 24 hours. =P

This happened to me earlier in the year, but It was like that for over 24 hours.... lost almost everything except the fish, LTA and softies.... my tank was unhappy for a month... very stressful to come home to a crashed tank... I made 3 trips to scrips with 8 five gallon water bottles in the back of a geo metro by the time the tank had cleared up... obviously happened before i bought my truck and the 55 gal drums.

Andrew
760-622-8533

Thanks alot for the helping hand. I did the 50g water change last night, and the softies are looking better. I just got back from Scripps and got almost 90g. I used an old 55g tank and as I was going up the hill from Scripps there was water everywhere, but I figure out of 55g I managed to get about 45g of it home plus all my 7g and 5g containers. I plan on doing another 50gallons today and using the rest throughout the rest of the week with random 5g water changes. Thanks alot for the offer. It's good to know that there are some reefers with pontentially massive quantities of water up here. I'm going to be storing extra salt/salt water from now on for emergencies like this...hopefully it never happens again. I just got some awesome SPS from AquaSD and the very next day...BAM! HELL.
Thanks again dude!

surfer85
11-17-2009, 07:59 PM
...outcome so far...one dead cleaner shrimp, frogspawn loosing tissue...everything else pretty much stable...now the waiting game.

Bogg
11-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear this.. what brand heater was this that broke?.

naso tang
11-17-2009, 08:21 PM
wow, man, hope everything recovers ok and that I didn't somehow jinx you by coming over Sunday...thanks for the frags btw and sorry I couldn't help out with the heater explosion...

88blazer
11-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Your lady needs a nice dinner for the eagle eye. You a lucky man

surfer85
11-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Not sure. It was just one that I'd been using in my condo but now that I moved the temp actually fluctuates I had to put a heater in. I've got it laying around some where. I know it's not one of the titianium ones.

Sorry to hear this.. what brand heater was this that broke?.

surfer85
11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah. She definetly saved alot of the corals...I can't even imagine how bad it would have been if she didn't catch it. I wouldn't have been home till around 6 today and this all went down yesterday...gives me chills.

ricenoodle
11-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Glad you took minimal loss on a bad accident. +1 on buying her something nice, maybe a frag :lol:

surfer85
11-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I think it's been a little over a week now so I thought I'd throw an update up. So far I've lost one cleaner shrip. About half of my SPS and showing polyp extensions, but the other half still do not look good at all. All the fish are fine and the anemones are fine...one looks a little pissed today but hopefully will be happy later. Still waiting to see if things actually pull through...

Fink Ployd
12-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Hopefully we can all learn from your heartache to never use glass heaters...

btw you have a keeper gf. I dont even think my roommate could do a water change if i needed it.

bpro32
12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
wait so what actually happens when the heater explodes??

surfer85
12-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Your tank will hate you! If you're around when it happens there will be blue sparks coming out of the heater. We didn't see sparks with ours but the heater actually blew up. The ceramic piece blew away from the actual electrical portion of it. Once that happened there was a stray electrical current in the tank...reminds me that I still need to install the GFCI outlet...my gf reached in and got zapped...so unplug before you reach in. The water will look cloudy kinda milkish. All the coral will be mostly white some might have color but most will be completely sucked up and white. My zoos even turned white. All the coral will have mucus on them and over all just a horrible site. Most of my corals are recovering very well. I've got some spots that are bleaching but the other parts of the corals are regaining their colors.

wait so what actually happens when the heater explodes??

bpro32
12-03-2009, 05:18 PM
The stray current does all this?

jason142
12-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Not just stray current, almost full voltage from the heating element.

surfer85
12-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Not all but it's bad for everything. Whatever is in the ceramic portion of the heater leaches out into the tank and pisses everything off. Also the electric current mixed with salt and steel cuased rust in a heart beat and that also leaches into the tank. So overall just a bunch of bad chemical, minerals and whatever go into your tank

The stray current does all this?

sgriffin760
12-07-2009, 05:53 PM
you are a really good girlfriend thats cool my chick freaked out and was tripping when the power went out and kept checking the sump

WRAiTHY
12-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Guess I have been lucky. I have had 2 glass heaters break in the sump where I keep them and had nothing go wrong. No losses whatsoever that I could ever see (pod population shrank I think but it's hard to tell). When they broke, they tripped the circuit on the power strip I use and got turned off so I guess that's why I got saved. I use power strips for every single connection I have on my tanks.

Dechaine249
12-19-2009, 01:54 AM
obviously this was a really terrible accident, but relative to how bad it could have been if your girl hadn't saved your livestock's asses, its kind of a happy story.
It's like she pushed you out of the way of a bus, but the fall broke your leg. Anyway i'm glad to hear most of your livestock is pulling through.

surfer85
01-16-2010, 09:07 PM
obviously this was a really terrible accident, but relative to how bad it could have been if your girl hadn't saved your livestock's asses, its kind of a happy story.
It's like she pushed you out of the way of a bus, but the fall broke your leg. Anyway i'm glad to hear most of your livestock is pulling through.

Yeah. I guess you could say that. I'm actually very suprised how well things are doing now. Alot of my corals are way more colorful than they ever were before the melt down. Crazy!