PDA

View Full Version : Possible Brooklynella

goody
11-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Just bought a wc pair of onyx clowns. they both appear to be rapidly breathing and swimming near the top, so it leads me to think they have brooklynella.

What are the procedures to try and save these fish. I know it kills fast. BTW, they were in my MT for 2 days after a dip in Quick Cure. Do you think I need to worry about other fish? They look fine.

I already have a 10g ready to set up as a QT. I just need to know the procedures for treatment.

Thanks.

nahtanoj
11-14-2009, 09:28 AM
for quick cure you need something to aerate the water. a small air stone is best. you put 1 drop per gallon as the directions say. every day you do at least a 25% water change, and then add 1 drop per gallon again. so a 10g tank gets 10 drops per day. this treatment is one week long and works great. aeration is very important as formalin removes oxygen from water.
good luck, any further questions feel free to ask.
jon

goody
11-14-2009, 09:34 AM
thanks Jonathan. So I'll just go ahead and do treatment in a QT. I've found some articles that mention doing the treatment in a separate bucket (dip). They also mention lowering salinity. But are you saying I only need to add fish to my 10g QT and put 10 drops of formalin with lots of aeration stones, and keep up with WC?

LotsaFishies
11-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Brian - contact DavidM, he is the clown fish guru.

I have been dipping my two clowns daily in about 3/4 gallon of saltwater, 2 drops of QuickCure, for 5-7 minutes... One of the clowns has a couple little spots, but both of mine are swimming fine, eating heartily, and other wise look good.

Best of luck! And, very sorry to hear

nahtanoj
11-14-2009, 12:34 PM
that is what i'm saying. formalin only stays in the water for a few hours. so essentially it's a dip where you aren't netting the the fish over and over. it is how i treat all the sick fish i deal with.

goody
11-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Update: one died, other one still swimming around. Hope I can save this one.