PDA

View Full Version : Why do my fish keep dying?

narcist21
11-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I can't figure out why I've lost nearly all my fish over the past couple months from my FOWLR. I had a couple jumpers over the summer which I attribute to spooking them at night and early in the morning, but so far I've lost a Naso Tang, Lavender Tang, Harlequin Tusk, and a Regal Tang. All were eating regularly (four to five times a week) mysis, silversides, krill, and cyclops. They would all stop eating for a couple days and then die. Tank is a 100G cube, G3 skimmer, 150W MH on for 10 hrs/day, UV runs 24 hr/day, carbon and GFO 24 hr/day, temp swings between 78 and 80.

My stats are -
Temp - 79.1
Sal - 1.024
Ph - 8.25
Ammonia - <.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Alk - 2.1
Mag - 1200
CA - 400

Only use R/O water and Red Sea Coral Pro Salt with an auto top-off so salinity doesn't swing. Right now the only thing surviving is a damsel that's been in there a year, a solar wrasse (8 months), wolf eel (1 wk), and a magnificent anemone (1 week),

Anybody got any clues?

bpro32
11-08-2009, 06:16 PM
did you add anything right before things started dying? --that includes a new piece of rock, sand, fish, etc...

narcist21
11-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Not that I can remember? All the rock, sand, and equipment is from when I set the tank up. That's whats weird the only thing I add are fish every once in awhile and they keep dying.

nahtanoj
11-08-2009, 06:43 PM
there could be any number of things going on.
how quickly have they been dieing off? daily? weekly? monthly?
are there any physical signs of sickness? cloudy eyes? blotchy skin?
why are you only feeding 4-5 times a week? i personally think that fish need to eat minimum once a day, even better twice a day.
ammonia should be zero, is your test actually indicating ammonia?

narcist21
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Salifert only indicates less than .25, but there was no color to suggest it's present. The fish die randomly, some last a couple weeks some last for six months. No signs of disease- lateral line, ich, brook, etc. They just stop eating and waste away. I had a huge tomato that I thought was harassing them so I got rid of him, but the trend continues. I went to feeding less because I was concerned about waste, but am not against going back to every day. My reef thrives with the every other day regimen.

DaveMorris
11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Those tangs need to eat every day and need none of what you are feeding them and tons of veggies. The food you are using will not hurt them, but they need lots of seaweed and macro algea. Tangs are herbivores. My guess would be a lack of certain nutrients that they need.

narcist21
11-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I thought of that for the tangs. They would do great on mysis for a while, but when I would offer pellets or Nori they wouldn't take it. The Harlquin and Regal I couldn't figure out either. I think I'm done with Tangs as they never accept what I have to offer.

nahtanoj
11-08-2009, 09:48 PM
it sounds like you may have some kind of parasite running around in your system, possibly even flukes. other than that, there is not a lot to go on. i say feed more to help boost the immune systems and put new purchases on hold until you know what's going on. you can treat with prazipro to be safe, it is reef safe, but you can't run a skimmer for a week, so be ready for a big water change.
good luck,
jon

Haeun
11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I agree, I would consider flukes. You should try a freshwater dip if something else dies, see if anything fall off them.

narcist21
11-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't have anything else to die (hopefully), the few remaining have been in there 6+ months. I'll try the PraziPro treatment and give it a little while before adding anything else. Thanks!