PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime and Chemi Clean ?

pk-sd
05-04-2005, 09:18 PM
How long are you suppose to treat the tank for before doing 20%water change when using Chemi Clean? Is it 24 hours, 48 hours or something else?

The instructions are a little unclear.

bgoode
05-04-2005, 09:42 PM
The directions on my packet say add one level scoop per 10g, after 48hrs repeat if necessary. Do a 20% water change after full treatment. When I used it, it only required the first dose and I did a 20% change after 48 hrs and it didn't come back.

iLLisMiKe
05-04-2005, 10:23 PM
i had the same problems with the instructions. after i got some help with the instructions, there was no more red slime.

jrjuiliano
05-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Now I remember why I thought it was 24 hours. It says to turn off your skimmer and/or use an air stone for 24 hours and then do the water change after 48

pk-sd
05-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks, last time I ran it for 24 hours and performed a water change. Cyno came back, not as bad though. This time I will run it for 48 hours(I started last night).

I just hope the cyno is in my tank is not immune to chemi clean now !:eek:

I am thinking chem clean is some sort of antibiotic; does anyone know for sure ?

jrjuiliano
05-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Generally speaking, yes it is.

If you have no luck with Chemi-Clean, you might want to try another brand (like "Red Slime Remover", I think it's called). There might be subtle differences in the makeup between the two products to make it effective.

And then if it comes back again, try the Chemi-Clean again!

Hopefully you won't have to worry about it at that point though.

I must say, once I added chaeto my fuge I haven't had a bad outbreak of cyano yet.

Agent003
05-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Are these products reef safe?

pk-sd
05-05-2005, 08:05 AM
For most part yes. I am sure there are some exception. Prevention is the best method when it comes to cyno(red slime). But once its in your tank there is not a whole lot you can do get rid of it other than nuking it.

FishProf
05-05-2005, 08:38 AM
I had red slime problem - and as promised, the Chemi-Clead did do it's job. I did not have to do a second treatment [luckily b/c the whole bottle went in]. Afterwards my skimmer went wild for nearly a week [I drained thru the collection cup, so I ended up doing more than 20% water change].

FP