PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive sand?

Scottjbl
05-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I am in the process of setting up a large tank, and have heard several solutions to filling your tank with sand. I need a cheep way. I have heard of this sand at home depot. Anyone know about this, or have any good ideas? Also, has anyone ever tried using sand from one of our local beaches? I have seen sand from Malabo, being sold on ebay for fish tanks.

suver569
05-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Southdown or Oldcastle is pretty much the only commercial sand you can use, since it comes directly from the ocean.

Other than that, aragonite is pretty much your only other choice, other than the bagged and really expensive live sand.

Oh, David M sells sand for a buck a pound. That's fairly cheap unless you can wait till the Southdown sand order goes though.

Scottjbl
05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
where can I get Southdown or Oldcastle sand at?

wannabeafarmer
05-03-2005, 02:24 PM
East Coast...

Scottjbl
05-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Who is ordering it, and how much is it?

suver569
05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5883

Scottjbl
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
What about sand from one of our local beaches?

suver569
05-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Pollution issue. Our sand is far to tainted to use. You'd have to pull it off an island or way out in the sea.

I believe it's illegal to take any amount of sand off the beach anyways. Or at least if someone saw you taking a 5 gallon bucket of sand, they might kick some ass. :p

Scottjbl
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
ya, just an idea.

obarrera
05-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by suver569
Pollution issue. Our sand is far to tainted to use. You'd have to pull it off an island or way out in the sea.

I believe it's illegal to take any amount of sand off the beach anyways. Or at least if someone saw you taking a 5 gallon bucket of sand, they might kick some ass. :p

lol I once got like 40lbs of sand(I used it for a freshwater tank that I had) from the beach and no one told me anything, I didn't know it was illegal when I got it.:D

MonsterC
05-04-2005, 12:38 AM
If you get sand from our beach get it from Fiesta Island.The Bottle caps make awesome frag plugs.And the broken glass gives great lighting effects.Plus all the cigarette butts make perfect biological filters.And the used charcoal briquetts work for making the water clear like carbon.And the beer boxes work for large plenums.Ill be there Saturday getting more,I should charge for this stuff!!!!

Scottjbl
05-04-2005, 05:19 AM
If you go to La Jolla down toward Wind and Sea, the sand is very clean. I never see any trash in the sand. It is funny that you bring up the most polluted beach in San Diego. I have actually seen sand from a beach in Malabo being sold on ebay, as live sand for reef tanks. I am not saying it is a good idea, I am just asking what problems could arise from using our local sand.:(

M. Parkis
05-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Our local beach sand is silica sand not calcium and is inert in a reef tank. It will not hurt a reef tank but will not help balance PH.

95camaro20s
05-04-2005, 11:27 AM
then i guess i should take the sand out of my tank huh? got it from la jolla beach. doh! mixed it with some live argonite sand. any ideas on how i should remove it?

MarLooney
05-04-2005, 02:07 PM
the best place to get sand is right here on SDReefs. keep yer eyes open and put up a wanted post. i recently got 1/4 bucket of LS free and 2 full 5gal buckets of dry arag traded for some corals.

also, listen to what Parkis said about local sand. ;)