PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Keepers

Dannyboy
05-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Alright guys, who has a mantis and what kind of setup do you have for it? I just caught a 2-3" green smasher mantis and the thing is frickin awsome! I have never kept one of these guys so need a little advice for those who have or do keep one. I have it in a 10gal for now but not sure if I really want to keep it. They are just soo cool but not sure if they are really practical to keep as a pet. Lemme know what you guys think - Danny

wannabeafarmer
05-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Mantis Peepuls... (http://www.grimreefers.com/forums/)

Check out this site...

There is another one also...let me see if I can find a link.

Dakota
05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
I know a few people who have them. They make awesome pets becuase they are such a unique animal. Feeding them fresh snails gets expensive, so see if you can get him to eat prepared foods. As for his home, give him lots or LR with holes for hiding. Keep lighting on the lower end of the spectrum as to give the guy a desire to come out of hiding. One of these days, I'm gonna get one.

wannabeafarmer
05-03-2005, 09:06 AM
More Manits Peepuls.... (http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/care.htm)

wannabeafarmer
05-03-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm in the planning stages of a Mantis tank...If I can just get the wife to agree to let me have another tank!

I'm planning on a 7.5 Gal. cube from M.Parkis, with a closed loop/heater chamber to keep the interior clean.

If you run across any more of these critters, give me a hollar...

Dannyboy
05-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the links and yeah I get them all the time working at PK. But this one was really cool looking. Most are just brown smashers but this one is bright green with blue spots. really cool.

wannabeafarmer
05-03-2005, 09:20 AM
I'd even be interested in a brown one...I'll let you know as soon as I have the set-up built...maybe you can keep an eye out!

Dannyboy
05-03-2005, 09:50 AM
For sure, just hit me up when your ready - Danny

SDMike
05-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Mantis are pretty well able to live in about anything...

Once they get bigger, you'll wanna have them in an acrylic tank tho.

In general, if you've got a smasher, they'll leave the fish alone. Snails etc. are all in danger tho.

Mine both died in the move. :mad:

M

phishphood
05-03-2005, 11:05 AM
hey Danny, if it's not too much trouble, you think you could let me know too the next time you find another mantis- any color/type. That'd be cool thanks

Dannyboy
05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
In general, if you've got a smasher, they'll leave the fish alone. Snails etc. are all in danger tho. Really? I thought they pretty much take out everything regardless if its a smasher or slasher. Hmmm....mabey in my FOWLR? I dunno.

hey Danny, if it's not too much trouble, you think you could let me know too the next time you find another mantis- any color/type. That'd be cool thanks Yeah for sure, with as much LR and corals we come across they're bound to come in. They are just hard as hell to catch, but I'll let you guys know.

GeeOh
05-04-2005, 09:03 PM
What have U done with the ones in the past? Do you usually sell them?

Dannyboy
05-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Yeah we'll sell them for like $5-$10 or ifs its kinda big for $15. You come across some strange stuff working at an LFS. One time we got a shipment of LR, and it was so fresh I found 9 pistol shrimp and 4 mantis shrimp just laying at the bottom of the LR boxes. I couldn't believe they were still flopping around:confused: I though for sure they would have died during shipment but I guess not.

SDRotary
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I have mine in a 5g hex and it seems happy as can be. It does get old buying snails but it isnt that much $$ for such a cool animal. I reccomend acrylic regardless of size as i had mine in a glass 10g and it scared the **** out of me. It even smashes the same place in its acrylic tank about 100 times like she knows that it will get her out. I would not put it in your fowlr. Mine eats damsels if I put em in there just takes some time for her to catch em. Plus I wouldn't want my hand in its tank at all. I am going to pick up another species (wennerae) which is small and green. I plan on putting it in my 2g pico reef until it gets too big. Good luck

Kyle

Dannyboy
05-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Hey Kyle, when your mantis starts smashing a snail, does it just beat it against the wall or what? I have only fed mine a couple ghost shrimp and it took them out fast as hell but didn't have to smash away at it. I'm nervous to put in a snail or hermit.

Dannyboy
05-20-2005, 08:39 AM
If you run across any more of these critters, give me a hollar... Well I got another one. Your first in line wannabeafarmer if you want it, it's yours. Phishphood your next in line if he passes. Its a small brown/green smasher.

wannabeafarmer
05-20-2005, 09:38 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Damn...I'm not ready for it right now, so I'll have to pass.

But I REALLLLLY want it!:mad:

Oh well...maybe next time. Pass it on down to the next in line, I'll try to be ready for the next one.

Thanks

phishphood
05-20-2005, 12:20 PM
PM'd ya Danny

brahm
05-21-2005, 01:17 AM
i've got a slasher, it's just living in a stripped out spare 40 gallon I was using for a holding tank.. ..2 power heads.. and and an air stone..

Daniel
05-21-2005, 01:31 AM
if you ever find a peacock, i wanna be first in line! :)

i used to have one at like 4'' but sold it since i didn't have time for it... but now just the mere talk about mantis makes me regret the fact that i don't have it anymore, i want another!!! :D

brahm
05-21-2005, 08:05 AM
my mantis wants to kill me.. It just stares @ me all day and follows me around the tank.. I can tell.. I see it in it's eyes.

BrookR1
05-21-2005, 04:01 PM
I saw a really cool lime green mantis at OG today...and a very nervous crab.

SDRotary
05-21-2005, 06:23 PM
I love to see the LFS stocking them more. My friend picked up the yellow spearer @ AW last week. I wish I had room for it.

Kyle