PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide Electrical Question

mojoreason
05-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know if you have to have a certain rated cord for high-end halide lighting systems? The reason I ask is that I have a 400w HQI DE halide with an Ice Cap ballast & the cord came off of a 175w or 250w halide ballast ... sometimes when I plug it in - - the lights will not fire up - - same goes for timers -- it may work a couple of times but it's not going to consistently work.

That got me to thinking that there must be a different gauge wire that I should be using as the cord off of the ballast ... but does anyone know how much a lower end MH ballast cord gauge would even vary from a higher end MH ballast cord?

Any ideas?

suver569
05-02-2005, 11:01 AM
How long is the cord?

MrKrispy
05-02-2005, 12:28 PM
i have noticed some of the timers that are rated for 15A don't really handle the ballast kicking on. I went with all "heavy duty" labeled timers which are 20A I think. No problems after that.

mojoreason
05-03-2005, 06:56 AM
The cord isn't wicked long but it's about 4 ft or so ... I spliced it from the last ballast I had.

So far as timers - - I have a two-pronged timer I need to use a three-to-two plug for that doesn't work ... I have a three pronged timer that seems to kick on the lights (but I only recently started using it) ...

I WAS using the Reefkeeper but it won't fire up the lights and it totally pisses me off because that was the main reason I went with that thing ... the inventor/owner said he's working on a mod but has yet to get back to me and when I write him back promises that it's close ...

suver569
05-03-2005, 08:23 AM
I'd start with the timer. Check into a heavier duty one.