PDA

View Full Version : My ballast isnt working.....so I guess I need to get some new lights

Reefkeeper
04-25-2005, 02:18 PM
My icecap ballast (VHOs) apparently has decided to die on me which really sucks given how much I paid for it. Either way, this means my mini-reef (10gal) is currently stuck with only a standard flourescent fixture. Obviously, this isnt going to work and I need to figure out a fix.

Immediately I will be using this for only my 10 gal, but as the VHO setup was originally from my 55 gallon, I had planned to switch it back to a larger tank once I had another set up going. I was going to figure out the light problem on the smaller tank at that point.

All in all, at this moment I am trying to figure out a fix to the current situation. If anyone has a used light fixture that they are trying to get rid of that they think would fit my sitation, let me know.

Otherwise, what ideas do people have.

Thanks.

suver569
04-25-2005, 02:22 PM
I have a workhorse 7 ballast. It will run any bulb, vho, pc, NO, HO, t5, t8, t12, any combination, any wattage, up to 4 lamps, 220w max.

It's not being used right now, and it's easy to swap it out.

40 bucks, which is what it costs to get one shipped to your house (except you dont have to wait)

Reefkeeper
04-25-2005, 02:36 PM
In terms of the connections from the ballast to the lights, how does this particular ballast hook up? The icecap had a pin connector type device which ran the leeds to all of the endcaps and also connected to the power?

If it will work for me, that seems like a good deal. Let me know the answer to above. If it will work for me, when we meet up later on in the week we can just do that exchange too.

suver569
04-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Reefkeeper
In terms of the connections from the ballast to the lights, how does this particular ballast hook up? The icecap had a pin connector type device which ran the leeds to all of the endcaps and also connected to the power?

If it will work for me, that seems like a good deal. Let me know the answer to above. If it will work for me, when we meet up later on in the week we can just do that exchange too.

The lampholders are hard wired into the wiring harness, correct?

Reefkeeper
04-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Wires slip into the endcaps from below, all connecting to one wiring harness.

suver569
04-25-2005, 05:20 PM
It can be rewired to the lampholders then. If you can gently pull the wires out of the lamp holders by twisting back and forth, and pulling, it'll be a snap to pop in the new ballast.

Reefkeeper
04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
If you look on icecaps web page for 660 wiring diagrams, it included the wire harness and you will see what I am talking about. I am not 100% sure of what you are referring to in terms of the ease of hooking up a different ballast.

Since you are an electrician, the outermost clear plastic on the wires is cracking and peeling at some points. None of the actual insulation is cracking, just the outer level. Do you think I need to replace the wiring harness or is it fine.

Reefkeeper
04-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Interesting......I just spoke with Icecap and according to the date code on my ballast, I bought it in 1996. I thought I bought it more recently than that, but that probably jives with how much I paid for the damn thing.

Supposedly they can repair it for $65 flat rate. I am waiting to hear if that has any warranty on it and what that will cover before sending it in.

Suver, even if i get this repaired I may want to buy your ballast as I will be without it for the time of the repair and can always use it on another tank.

suver569
04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Ok, lemme know.