PDA

View Full Version : Species Profile/Experiences Forum

Clownaholic
08-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Could we add a forum for species profile? A place where we could discuss "issues" with individual species or best practices to keep them healthy.

Example: Queen Angel - originates in Atlantic (Caribbean), very hearty - borders on bullet proof. LOVES your prized zoanthids for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack time :popcorn: Highly aggressive :demon: toward other Angels or Tangs even when it is the last one into a system.

SDguy
08-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Couldn't we just do that in the Reef Discussion forum?

Clownaholic
09-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I suppose we could, but this could be a location where newbies went to find out compatibility issues or reef safe issues without digging through all the other posts. It is just a thought.

Dechaine249
09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I like it. it would cut down on the amount of people new to the hobby buying species they know nothing about and save the lives of a couple fish and coral. +1

bpro32
09-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Kind of like the equipment review but for livestock :)

SDguy
09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
My point really isn't that species profiles would not be useful. They VERY much would. My point is that the more you splice a forum into smaller parts, the less people interact with each other, and the less of a "community" it becomes. This holds true for any BB, not just a reef one. Say we form a place just for fish species profiles. Then angelfish. Then dwarf angelfish. You can see how quickly the community can become separated. On a huge forum, where your thread may be buried on page 3 in 12 hours, sure, I can see it. But on a forum where the Discussions sub-forum has had only a couple posts in two days, I really don't see the need. But this is not at all up to me. I'm just offering my point of view, since I do frequent a much larger forum.

specvjeff
09-12-2009, 12:11 AM
For those of you interested, I am doing something similar with my Species Spotlight thread in my Sponsors forum. It may not be as involved as a thread dedicated to a particular species but it you would like to discuss, or ask questions about the species you are certainly welcome to.

bpro32
09-12-2009, 07:14 AM
I like Jeff's profiles. In time those should bulk up and be a significant source of info if he keeps it up. Until then let's just answer each others' questions about fish and livestock they would like to keep because Peter is right. This is less of a forum and more of a community than anything else...