PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my hammer?

Dechaine249
08-15-2009, 03:33 AM
I have a small two head frag of some really nice hammer that recently hasn't been extending nearly as far as it should be.

After buying it, upon closer inspection, i found there to be a tube right in the middle of the right head that was home to a small creature that kind of looked like some sort of pod, or small shrimp, which was white and clear and had a fan shape on the front of it that it would use to filter passing bits of food and bring them in to eat.

it appeared this thing was living in the frag long before i bought it, and the frag was unharmed by it for a long time, so i figured it was harmless and didnt remove it because it was really fun to watch, and there was no practical way of doing it.

anyway, both heads on the same day started not to extend nearly as far as they should, but the head with the hitchhiker is noticeably worse.

could this hitchhiker be the cause of whats wrong with my hammer?
he vanished when the problem started happening.
there doesn't seem to be any melting going on yet, but they havent extended right for about a month and its starting to seem like they wont.
all my levels are stable, and none of the other coral or fish have anything noticeably wrong with them at all.
What can i do to try to bring him around?

sorry for the novel, just want to get to the bottom of this.
all opinions welcomed
thanks in advance

sac_ngheo
08-15-2009, 07:25 AM
wonder if you have too much flow... less flow will help it to fully open

Dechaine249
08-15-2009, 12:29 PM
really? there isn't a ton of flow on it, but i did try to direct flow its way some, ill try putting it in a low flow area. thanks.

any other ideas are welcome as well.
and im also interested in what the "pod" exactly was if anyone has any input

fishtankcrazy
08-16-2009, 03:56 PM
The lower the flow the happier it will be....

smirkis
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
i noticed the low flow helps a lot too. my friend placed his hammer right in front of his power head and it never opened, ever.

i keep mine in low flow, and under weak lighting 2 heads turned into more then 6 within the last 5 or so months