PDA

View Full Version : injured fish

dogma40
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
i picked up a tang who had been in a small fight. he received a small cut on his mouth. ie his right upper lip.

is there something i can do other than garlic to help him heal faster.

meds or food or chem

lmk thanks - chase

fishtankcrazy
08-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Copper in quarantine tank.

dogma40
08-07-2009, 05:46 PM
for an injury... i thought copper stressed then out more?

mrsmithers
08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
you could try something that helps with the fish's slime coating and i would QT the fish as well

seahorse_man
08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Copper in quarantine tank.

Copper will not help, copper is powerful stuff and should only be used for internal and external PARASITES..... not scrapes.

Melafix is pretty good for what you want, it is pretty common and can be found at most stores.....keep in mind it will make your skimmer go kinda crazy so you might want to turn it off when you use this stuff(like all meds you should turn your skimmer off anyway).

Here is what it looks like, except this is a 64oz...... http://www.marinedepot.com/Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_Professional_Strength_Mel aFix_64oz_Saltwater_Bacterial_Fungal_Medications-Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_API_MARS_Fishcare-AP1527-FIMEBF-vi.html

Quote from the link I provided:

''I have a protein skimmer. Will MelaFix cause foaming?
MelaFix will cause some increased foaming during the treatment. We recommend turning the skimmer down or off during treatment with MelaFix.

Do I have to remove the activated carbon from my filter when treating with MelaFix?
We suggest removing the carbon while treating with any medication.''

Om a personal note, I have used this stuff before and love it.

HTH
Jordan

Techknowledgy
08-07-2009, 08:38 PM
I would just feed the crap out of him with Nori. He doesn't need more stress. No copper.

benzeeno
08-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll bring you Nori with your rods. Hope it helps.

RussM
08-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree w/ Jordan... no copper... it's for parasitic and fungal treatment. While many LFS use it as a prophylactic treatment, I'm not fond of that practice for home use. And since he's hurt, not sick, I would not add potent medications unless it's necessary.

Although that Tomini has been a bit stressed for the last 2-3 days with all the commotion of my tank breakdown, it's very healthy. Feed it well, and the wound should heal quickly. Keep alert for any signs of infection... then treat as necessary. Prophylactic treatment ("just in case") may just cause additional stress. However, Melafix is nice & safe... I used it a lot in my freshwater days... if you do want to do something "just in case", go w/ the Melafix.

As mrsmithers suggested, StressCoat Marine or an equivalent product sure won't hurt, and may be beneficial.

dogma40
08-07-2009, 10:46 PM
jordan i think ill try that. thanks roland im upping my feeding and garlic into all forms of food. ben that would be super cool. thanks man hope your uncle if feeling better.

thanks again russ, both fish are beautiful. ill keep you posted on his condition. the aurora is hiding in the front, both fish are eating too :)

RussM
08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Chase, how is the tang doing?

dogma40
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
im very pleased to say that the tomini has healed and is now back to %100.

thanks for all your advice, the over feeding/galic soaked food really did the trick!

RussM
08-10-2009, 05:08 PM
im very pleased to say that the tomini has healed and is now back to %100.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

dogma40
08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
yep he got new skin forming over the damaged area and is out in the front of the tank cruising back and forth. he's eating anything i put in there too!

im concerned however, him and my kole are still kinda at arms with each other... i hoping this will subside.

i kinda favor my kole, don't wanna see him get hurt.

dogma40
08-21-2009, 01:21 PM
that fish is back to good. no more visible marks or scratches.... PLUS!!! him and my other tang are now good buddies and school together.... its pretty cool!