PDA

View Full Version : Fish Dying

StealthGT98
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I have a freshwater tank> I have recently startied getting more into it and I bought a few fish for it. I've had 2 gouramis, 2 silvertip sharks 3 red eye tetras and 2 plecos. In the span of a month both of my sharks, 1 gourami and a pleco have died! Ive had the water tested numerous times and turned out that my water was a little hard. So i bought the water softner, but that didn't fix it. I've just about to give up on the whole thing! Does anyone have any insight on why this is happening?

jason142
08-04-2009, 06:05 AM
How big is the tank and how long has it been set up. Also where are you getting your water tested at. What are the results of the tests, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

smirkis
08-04-2009, 06:09 AM
fw is dirt easy. a good filter, decent flow, and a good de-clorifer, let the tank cycle for atleast 2 weeks to a month.

do you have a heater? water temps are like the only factor in freshwater tanks. fish can usually handle sways of nitrates/ph pretty decently.

StealthGT98
08-04-2009, 08:49 AM
It is a 15gal tank and has been set up for about 2 months. I've had the water tested at Petco and the guy didnt give me the results of everything he just told me that i had "hard" water.
I dont have a heater for it. What would be a good one to get?
Thanks for the replies guys

jason142
08-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I would recommend getting a freshwater test kit. I like the marineland stealth heater because it is black and the shell is plastic so it cannot shatter but it is pretty much personal preference, anything that is rated for a tank that size will work. What is your current water temp?

Two Bit Scooter
08-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I've had good luck using tap water and AmQuel+

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3978+4045&pcatid=4045

Water changes are the best way to get your parameters in good shape, and if you keep up with it you wont need a test kit. ;)

fishtankcrazy
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Some tips:

1.) Switch to RO/DI water, its much better "cleaner" than uses stuff like Amquel or Prime. 30cents a gallon at Aquatic Warehouse if you don't wanna buy a unit.

2.) Don't add more than a couple fish a month so the bioload can build up.

3.) Make sure you buffer you're PH to around 7...

4.) Use a wet/dry system for best stability. Or at least some filter that has a bio wheel...

5.) Add a couple power heads in the tank to get some good flow if needed.

6.) Never change more than 20% of your water at a time...

7.) Fix the root of the problem, do not buy / add a million chemicals like the LFS want to sell you.

8.) Most importantly, dip all the fish to get rid of parasites before they go into the tank as this may save their life and the rest of the inhabitants too! Don't forget to acclimate them too.

mvk886
08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
HEATER from petco ASAP!!

Two Bit Scooter
08-04-2009, 02:37 PM
HEATER from petco ASAP!!

+1

1.) Switch to RO/DI water, its much better "cleaner" than uses stuff like Amquel or Prime. 30cents a gallon at Aquatic Warehouse if you don't wanna buy a unit.

Seriously I'd add AmQuel to any water I used, and RODI is way overkill for a FW tank.

Yolo
08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Water might be too perfect and too clean right now to support fish. (no beneficial bacteria?) Did you cycle the tank? Not too hot or cold indoors right now so a heater is probably not it. I don't have any heaters connected right now.

Water quality is not an issue unless you are using straight untreated tap and the chlorine/chlorinates are killing them.

I barely do any water changes often months at a time but have a fully cycled tank.

My other guess is too much food and high waste, no filtering or lack of circulation/oxigeniation (spelling)...do you have an air bubbler? Do you have a hang on the back filter that skims off the top and creates circulation?

FW fish will live in almost anything. They only need air and food.

Fink Ployd
08-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Definitely dont need RODI in a FW tank.

9 fish is a lot for a 15g tank. How often do you do water changes? What kind of filter are you running?
"Hard" water means nothing in FW tank unless you are keeping pH sensitive fish like discus. You should be checking for pH, ammonia and nitrate levels mainly.
Im guessing with that many fish in a small tank you probably have high ammonia or nitrate levels and its killing your fish. Try to keep up with 2-3 water changes per month (as needed) about 25-50% tank volume each. Dont add any more fish and try not to overfeed and youll be set.

You probably dont need a heater in the summer unless you have the air on.

99sf
08-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Really hope you used a de-chlorinator before putting the tapwater in your tank. I second the theory that you have a very high bio-load and a tank that is filled with ammonia/ nitrites / nitrates, due to lack of cycling. Please read this article:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2154&aid=2657

benzeeno
08-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Time to go SW if you're testing fw and changing water and testing and you're here at SDR. GL. Hope it all works out. BTW 15 gal would be a good sump. I second RO/DI is overkill. Tap is fine w/instant dechlor drops(the blue bottle with the red fish on it).

LotsaFishies
08-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Don't go to Petco to get your water tested. ;) They use test-strips which aren't vey accurate. If you have the money, buy a good quality test kit that uses glass test tubes and bottles with liquid in them... Aquarium Pharmasuticals (SP?) Inc (API) makes a good one. If you don't have the money, go to a privately owned store that uses a better-quality test kit...

ManTis
08-09-2009, 10:08 AM
^^^:lol:^^^

specvjeff
08-10-2009, 02:30 AM
You had 2 Silver Tips, 2 Gouramis, 2 Plecos and 3 Red Eye Tetras in a 15 gallon aquarium after it was set up for only 2 months. That is your problem. You over stocked the aquarium and did it too quickly. Did you cycle the tank for 4 weeks 1st with a couple hardy fish such as Danios? Hard water would not contribute to those fish dying as they are very adaptable, Silver Tips can live in Saltwater. The smallest tank I'd recommend for that many fish would be a 40 gallon with a 55 or 60 being ideal.