PDA

View Full Version : Equipment melt down!!!

JHAI4
08-03-2009, 07:55 AM
So last night I changed out the filter sock and noticed a drip coming from the return line. I quickly deployed the rescue tape and thought I would fix it tomorrow seeing that it was late. I wasn't too comfortable with more pressure going through the line so I isolated the sump and let my Vortech do it's thing!

This morning the sump was nuked! I guess I had a failure on my RK2 and it dosed all the ALK into the sump and my closed loop pump that was supposed to be off was running super hot (too hot to touch).

I guess the RK2 is malfunctioning, the pump needs to be cleaned again as it shouldn't be this hot.... All in all nothing not too bad as the livestock is fine but looks like a day of fun with equipment.... :(

Was on the phone this morning with DA and they indicated that the pump should be in a relay outlet as well as the doser.... Hummmm that unit only comes with two relays and four regular outlets. Last time I spoke to them I was told that lights should go into relays. Seems as if all the outlets should be relays at this point.

Jumping the gun a little until DA gets back to me, dose the RKEv2 have this relay issue or are all outlet relays? Alternatively if I had to buy a new controller which is the brand to go with Apex or RKE?

Thanks.

jrod11
08-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Sorry to hear about this problem Justin!

I started a thread a while ago about the APEX. It has some solid info on it:

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55231

JHAI4
08-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I've read it but no one seems to have one or at least commented to such.... I have to send my RK2 to DA for service as it has malfunctioned. No trying to figure out how to setup the system to run on life support utill I get it back, going to cost me at least $40 in repairs and $40 in shipping.

Debating, buying a new one and having this repaired controller as a backup...

jrod11
08-03-2009, 08:46 AM
I posted on my thread to see if anyone purchased it. Russ was the guy to talk to about the APEX, but I think he might be taking a break from the hobby.

I am currently looking at the RK Elite for 2 main reasons.

1. It has been out longer and has had more debugging than the APEX has
2. DaveMorris is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the ELITE and I know that I could ask him lots of questions regarding how to use it.

Only bummer is that I really want the net module which costs extra. Being a web developer, I am looking forward to incorporating the Elite into my website for monitoring.

RussM
08-03-2009, 09:01 AM
RKE & APEX are both excellent choices. Both have advantages and disadvantages compared to one another.

DaveMorris can answer any RKE questions, and I can talk APEX & other AquaControllers all day long ;)

Yes, I'm in the process of breaking down, but am not going away... I will still be hanging out here. And my Reeftronics (http://www.reeftronics.net/) web site (supporting AquaControllers and RKE both) will continue running.

RussM
08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Regardless of the brand of controller, lighting ballasts are generally best on triac outlets, not relay outlets when plugged into the standard controller power strips (DC8/EB8, RKM-PC4)... the startup inrush current can cause the relay contacts to fuse. Neptune has an expansion outlet (PC4HD) module that has high-capacity relays as an alternative for use. DA has an equivalent (RKM-PC1), but I don't know if it uses high-current triacs or bigger relays.

The relay outlets on the RKM-PC4 and the DC8/EB8 are best used with very low-power devices like dosing pumps and small powerheads that don't draw enough current to operate a triac reliably.

DaveMorris
08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
The PC4 module that works with the Elite And Lite Reefkeepers has two relay outlets rated at 8amps each and two solid state outlets rated at 3amps each. Total draw on the PC4 however can not exceed 15amps. Russ is correct, low power devices like dosing pumps and powerheads do not play nice with solid state circuits. They should be on relay channels. Lighting does not matter on the PC4. As long as you do not overload the channel, you can use either one. I have my T5 actinics on an Icecap 440 ballast on a solid state channel and my halides are on relay channels.

The RKM-PC1 has not been released yet. It is a duplex outlet with a total rating of 15amps and it is controlled by a mechanical relay. It was designed for high power devices like chillers and 1000w lighting. I do have one in my current system if anyone wants to see it.

JHAI4
08-03-2009, 02:15 PM
RK2 is heading back to DA today. Pump had a metal shaving come off the rotating manifold inside the pump. I took it off and cleaned the pump by soaking it in vinegar. All is back but hardwired while RK2 is repaired.

I think I wan tot go with the Apex as they have a four relay outlet ready to go and since I have three dosers I think this is the direction I want to go in. However, I spopke to Neptune today and they are back ordered for months.... :(

RussM
08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Justin, what's back-ordered? The EB8 or DC4? They show >100 Apex units in stock.

JHAI4
08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Russ, I spoke to Dave this morning then I called Apex support line. I asked about the closest place to purchase an Apex system and the rep told me they were back ordered for a few months. As I don't have access to their inventory system as you do I took the customer service reps word for it.

RussM
08-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Russ, I spoke to Dave this morning then I called Apex support line. I asked about the closest place to purchase an Apex system and the rep told me they were back ordered for a few months. As I don't have access to their inventory system as you do I took the customer service reps word for it.You called Neptune directly? Their web site show stock on hand... I have no special access ;)

JHAI4
08-03-2009, 04:45 PM
My bad, I didn't take that close a look at their website and yes I spoke to Neptune directly.

vinny73
08-05-2009, 07:04 AM
So last night I changed out the filter sock and noticed a drip coming from the return line. I quickly deployed the rescue tape and thought I would fix it tomorrow seeing that it was late. I wasn't too comfortable with more pressure going through the line so I isolated the sump and let my Vortech do it's thing!

This morning the sump was nuked! I guess I had a failure on my RK2 and it dosed all the ALK into the sump and my closed loop pump that was supposed to be off was running super hot (too hot to touch).

I guess the RK2 is malfunctioning, the pump needs to be cleaned again as it shouldn't be this hot.... All in all nothing not too bad as the livestock is fine but looks like a day of fun with equipment.... :(

Was on the phone this morning with DA and they indicated that the pump should be in a relay outlet as well as the doser.... Hummmm that unit only comes with two relays and four regular outlets. Last time I spoke to them I was told that lights should go into relays. Seems as if all the outlets should be relays at this point.

Jumping the gun a little until DA gets back to me, dose the RKEv2 have this relay issue or are all outlet relays? Alternatively if I had to buy a new controller which is the brand to go with Apex or RKE?

Thanks.
A couple years ago, DM, Peter, Matt and Jojo came to the rescue at my house because of a faulty RK2. Turned out to be operator neglegence. That outlet center needs to be like a good distance away from saltwater otherwise the communication port, between processor and outlet center will become corroded and lose connection. Obviously, but who would of known it would take so long or it would even happen with a plug in the port to protect it. Heck, it even has a rubber boot to block moisture. Lost all fish, @30, all sps corals and a grip of lps. All that money just to have it take a dump after only a couple years. You get what you pay for. Definately good practice to check your connections once in a while. Hope your manufacturer support goes better than mine did. Mine happened while they were scrambling to get the rke out the door. So return calls, followups, just sucked! Took 3 months to get replacement. Still have the outlet center in my stand so havent learned lesson yet.

JHAI4
08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone.... It has been a weird week, but the RK2 was defective and is being repaired and set back to me ASAP. The skimmer is in heaven due to the leather spawning so no question I am keeping my skimmer! :)