PDA

View Full Version : Help with coral

goody
07-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I was out of town last Friday-Monday and didn't realize the weather was going to be so hot here in San Diego. I had my AC turned off in the house and I don't have a chiller. Monday night when I got home, I noticed my water temp. was up to 90 degrees, so I'm thinking it was probably up this high the entire time I was gone.

Well, it looks like I've lost some of my coral and others have bleached and lost all color. The problem I'm having now is that a brown stringy algae is attaching to many of my corals, so I don't know what to do. Am I wrong in thinking they are just bleached and maybe they're dead?

Here is a photo of what used to be a beautiful tricolor acro. Any idea on what is on the tips and how to get rid of it?
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/good365/July2009142.jpg

fish king
07-25-2009, 02:50 PM
try aiming the flow at affected areas and get your temp down.

smirkis
07-25-2009, 03:11 PM
so can that thing recover? my neighbors birdsnest did the same thing a week or 2 ago when the heat got real high outside. looks like i can still see polyps but its jus completely white jus like that with bacteria growing on the ends.

goody
07-25-2009, 06:24 PM
try aiming the flow at affected areas and get your temp down.

Temp is back to normal, and already have my powerheads pointed at corals that are more affected. Will it help if I frag below the bacteria? I don't want it to continue to spread.

dogma40
07-25-2009, 07:21 PM
kinda looks dead.. IMO

good luck!

CardiffReef
07-27-2009, 12:39 PM
my buddy had this same problem with his monti digitata they all turned completely white and startd to get brown algae on them. i thought they were dead but you could still see polyps on them. regular wkly water changes and stepped up the supplements for a couple wks and they are back to normal, so thier is still hope bro. less than 50%chance of survival but give it a chance and maby it will come back. for future refrence though, we live in SD it gets hot randomly so be prepared put a fan blowing twords your fixtures to keep it cool. good luck