PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh my tank ;(((

kurs
07-08-2009, 04:55 AM
So I heard my tank pop at 4am again... Ran downstairs and my 39g cadlights tank has cracked straight down the side.. The only thing touching it was the light fixture legs.. Livestock is in my mini cube, rocks in buckets till I figure out what to do..Too tired. Sucks I just got a pair of naked clowns yesterday and ordered a new bulb. Thought that would be it till I could upgrade. Now it's time for work. *yawn*.

LotsaFishies
07-08-2009, 05:45 AM
bummer! Glad you heard it though and were able to catch it!

isn't this like the 3rd tank that's broken in the last like, month?

Krakilin
07-08-2009, 05:59 AM
haha my center brace cracked last night on my 120g... :(

kurs
07-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Could this be from the cold? I run my lights at night with 150w mh and t5s in the living room next to the window. The room stays cool and gets a good breeze

LotsaFishies
07-08-2009, 07:35 AM
I guess its always a possibility....but I'm leaning towards faily unlikely. Glass certainly can shatter/crack/break due to differences in temperature, but it usually has to be very fast changes in temperature, and a huge swing in temperature.... ie, the glass was 125degrees and you poured 33 degree icewater on it.....and even then, not sure....

kurs
07-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Sucks I'm out of a 1k tank I bought last may and I couldn't find my target pistol shrimp. He must be in one of the buckets of rocks, hope he can survive without a heater.

Now I guess I need to find a temporary 24 inch long tank that fits my light till I can afford a real tank. What cheap tank options do I have?

bpro32
07-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I've got some 20g reg tanks you can use. Only catch is you have to keep it! :lol:

kurs
07-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks Brad. Did you already move to la jolla? I'm still trying to decide what I should do. Probably save up money for a couple months for something nice. I can't really afford a nice replacement and an upgrade tank. I've got too many bills like everyone else.

nahtanoj
07-08-2009, 11:25 AM
you guys need to quit beaking your tanks!

bpro32
07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
nope, haven't moved yet. My tanks are in IB right now pm me if you want a 20g its pif so no worries

vlad_acosta
07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
guess you lived up to your name:lol::)

haha my center brace cracked last night on my 120g... :(

mj1333
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Sucks I'm out of a 1k tank I bought last may and I couldn't find my target pistol shrimp. He must be in one of the buckets of rocks, hope he can survive without a heater.

Now I guess I need to find a temporary 24 inch long tank that fits my light till I can afford a real tank. What cheap tank options do I have?

A 1k 39g tank? ouch!!

kurs
07-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I think I know why it cracked now. We recently moved and the house has uneven tile. My stand had a little wobble to it without the tank. I put some shims under it and it seemed to be steady. Well yesterday when I removed the tank I noticed that the cherry wood had slightly flexed downward on the same side as the crack.
Is there a rubber mat or something you can use under the stand to prevent this from happening again?

fishtankcrazy
07-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Foam sheets 8' * 4' at home depot for like 7$.

I recommend you put one under your stand and one between your tank and stand...

This is much better to use than rubber as it has more give to let stand / tank adjust fully as needed to be level.

I think I know why it cracked now. We recently moved and the house has uneven tile. My stand had a little wobble to it without the tank. I put some shims under it and it seemed to be steady. Well yesterday when I removed the tank I noticed that the cherry wood had slightly flexed downward on the same side as the crack.
Is there a rubber mat or something you can use under the stand to prevent this from happening again?