PDA

View Full Version : I've got a problem...

SDMike
04-02-2004, 10:53 AM
...I've got this 80gal tank. Looking at the tank, I can see it in a wall unit/stand, with a pair of surge tanks/refugia mounted high next to it, with Ron's 40L underneath as a sump. The entire thing would be close to 8' long and 6'6" high.

I'm figuring on a pair of 20gal refugia with baffles down the middle of the tank for the surge section... Surge'll be about 3-5gal per.

Building the wall unit's not going to be TOO much tougher than just building a stand + hood. Finishing it off will be tougher...

Now, PLEASE talk me out of this before I get after it. Chap and MParkis are both no help. Both keep egging me on. Dammit Jim! I'm a Mortgage Broker not a carpenter...

Please help me!

M

SDMike
04-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Let's see if THIS works...

M

SDMike
04-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Chap
Quit your whining, get your a$$ to Home Depot, and build this damn thing. It's going to be awesome and I can't wait to see to set up. Note I said set up... at no point did I mention helping build it :D

Jason

NOW the true colors come out! After all the *cough!* "help" *cough!* I've given YOU...

Geez! The least you could do is offer to hump around some lumber.

Yes guys, I'm kidding!

Mike

nalbar
04-02-2004, 03:47 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!

its going to look like a chipmunk built it!

nalbar

SDMike
04-03-2004, 11:06 PM
I went over to the local HD and bought the lumber for the "tank majal."

I'll keep y'all posted on the build.

M

treylane
04-04-2004, 01:33 PM
I've seen this done several times, and it usually look GREAT - check out the Fish Collection in Placentia.

SDMike
04-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Progress this AM.

Mike

nalbar
04-04-2004, 09:17 PM
i still don't like how the legs don't directly support the frame.

nalbar

Phischy
04-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Due to the great weight the frame will support I would suggest suing 1/4" wood screws or bolts to attach the legs to the upper frame. That and add a middle set of 'legs' as well. Better to over build it than to not, right now your main support is only at the ends with what looks to be wood screws.

IMHO, I would have 6 sets of 'legs' attached to both the upper and lower frame with 1/4" dia bolts and then 1/4 or 1/2 plywood base and top and then 1/4" plywood veneer wrapped around, it'll be heavy as hell, but better that than too weak and it collapses. If you said it was 8' long then maybe you want 4 sets of legs....problem with that will be getting the sump in, of course you can always build the sump in....

There are also plenty of websites for advice on the building of aqarium tanks for proper structure.

nalbar
04-05-2004, 03:32 PM
mike, i have been mulling this over and i am unhappy with your design. personally i would not put 1000 pounds on that. looks to me you are also going to have LATERAL strength issues. screws and bolts are not good support features for that lumber. as the wet lumber dries it shrinks, sometimes a LOT. this lessens any screw or bolts ability to hold. better to have DIRECT support, allowing the stand to settle.

we should maybe get together to discuss it.

nalbar

Mike N
04-05-2004, 06:13 PM
It would be simple fix to add 2x4 stringers between the horizontal frame supports, thus giving the needed support in compression.

They could be placed outboard the front frame vertical members, and inside the rear vertical members. An additional benefit would be to make the front fascia a single plane in line with the aquarium frame.

A possible area for concern is the lack of diagonal bracing. If the sheeting is plywood it shouldn’t be a problem, but if you intend to use drywall you’ll need to add diagonal bracing.

Do you intend to use adjustable feet? With a contact area a large as shown in the picture, you’ll have to consider the ability to level out the structure and the stability of the structure FWIT. :confused:

SDMike
04-05-2004, 10:10 PM
While I appreciate the "words of wisdom" I've already planned on doubling up the 2x4 supports under my 2x6-s. They've been in the plan since the begining. Mrs. Shaw only raised one fool, and I'm not him.

What you see so far is what I managed to get to before I went hashing Sun. If you've ever been hashing, you'll know I wasn't in any kind of condition to work on the "Tank Mahal" when I got done.

Today was spent running around doing *gasp!* WORK stuff so I haven't gotten to cutting more lumber as of this evening.

The things I'm going to need some real help on are the hood(s), finishing (including crown molding, staining, etc.), and light supports. I haven't gotten that far in my design yet. Its a nebulous thing... that designing as you go.

I feel for Paulie on American Choppers. He's sitting there trying to figure stuff out as he goes, and Dad's yelling "BUILD IT! Whatcha waiting for?! We have a deadline!" I build, look at what I've done, figure the next bit out, look at what I've done, figure the next bit out, etc.

I never, ever(!) figured myself for a carpenter. Mechanical things I'm great at, but PLEASE don't make me build things. Now that I see how friggen much companies charge for POS stands, I gotta make one or I feel cheated.

If ya wanna help, call me at 760-757-2808. All the heavy stuff's done now... (hear that Chap?! Mom-in-law my left big toe! Typical senior NCO: heavy work needs doing, and he's off to go get coffee and donuts... yes, I'm STILL kidding)

Mike

SDMike
04-06-2004, 07:20 PM
I about goofed BIG TIME on the smaller tanks' supports. I had them started with some funky butt joints figuring that they're going to be stabilized by the 1/2" plywood I'm about to wrap this thing with... Then I got to thinking about the 200 or so pounds on the tops of each of these guys and changed my mind to what you see.

I'm stumped on how to turn the inner corners without using LOTS of wood (read: too heavy to move). Maybe one of y'all can suggest something?

I'm still stumped on the hoods too. Trying to figure out how to get the weight down far enough... I'm hoping to NOT have the hood resting on the tops of the tanks. I don't think I know how to do that, so I'll probably end up framing this out in 1x2 using the tanks' tops as horizontal supports.

Talk to you soon,

M

SDMike
04-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Side tank supports

Mike N
04-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Due to the size of your project it should have been built in place to begin with ;)
1/2" ply is overkill :eek:

I'd offer you a few ideas about the hoods, but they may be in your plans already? I'd hate to have you repeat that "You're no fool thing again" :rolleyes:

Have you gone to any of the DIY web pages to look at the plans they offer?

SDMike
04-06-2004, 09:40 PM
The problem with the internet is that tone of voice don't come thru very well.

At this point, all I have left are the nebulous ideas of how I want it to look. The "I have plans" part is almost done. I've done the bottom of the tank support structure several times now... The extra tank supports are just more of the same, just taller.

Its the rest that I'm having problems with...

1/4" ply?

SDMike
04-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Well, I wandered down to OG and picked up a pair of 20H tanks. Gotta love the price on those LeeMar tanks!

Got them home and test fitted one on the stand.

Waitaminit! This tank's too big for the shelf I'm building!

#$%$#% !

Good thing I got them when I did, 'cause the fix was a pair of 2x3s on each end that needed to be recut. Had I skinned this critter with plywood, it would've been a MUCH bigger problem.

So, now the ends are 13" instead of 12"...

I also discovered that the shelf is about an inch longer than the tank that is sitting on it. I'm betting I can disguise that with the door to the lights, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Mike

nalbar
04-08-2004, 04:54 PM
what are the dimensions of the 20H?

nalbar

SDMike
04-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by nalbar
what are the dimensions of the 20H?

nalbar

IIRC 24 1/8"L x 12 11/16"W x 16 3/4"T

Hey Warren, what do you think about using (strong) shelf brackets to hold up the top of the canopy? That's the simplest thing I can come up with...

Chap has a set of brackets rated for 800#. I figure something less beefy would work to hold up some 1x2s and some 1/4-3/8" plywood...

Mike

SDMike
04-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I hate painting!

Especially on this stand, there's so many different fronts and backs, tops and bottoms, and side to sides that I'm going CRAZY trying to get to them all!

I've got primer/sealer on the stand (minus canopy; see below).

I've hit a stopping point. Since I wasn't too bright and traded my perfectly good truck in on a sexy little car, I don't have any way to get the plywood I need for the sides/fronts home. I'm borrowing a friend's truck tomorrow so progress can continue.

The up side to owning a sexy little car is the 27-ish mpg I've been getting all-round.

Oh well.

Now if I could find a good (cheap!) Bronco/Blazer/Ramcharger/Scout/Scrambler, I'd be stoked.

More to come tomorrow.

Mike

SDMike
04-13-2004, 08:47 PM
We made made some progress today!

I've got 4/5 of the canopy support built. The rest is coming soon.

Basically I duplicated the bottom of the stand, just in 1x2. There are a few things that now that they're built, I'm not so sure about... I'll go take some pics tomorrow and post so y'all can see too.

I need another hinge, some way to support the lights inside the canopy, plywood for the ends and fronts, and oak doors.

If anyone knows of a good (cheap!) place to get oak doors locally, please let me know. I need a pair of 18x48" and a pair of 20.5x20.5" doors. Ditto with oak trim pieces (crown/base molding, and trim for around the tanks, as well as edges).

Mike

SDMike
04-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Well, the canopy/supports are done and have their first coat of primer. You can really see what its going to look like when its done from the framework.

Here's a few pics.

M

SDMike
04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
more

MFR
04-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Doooddddddddd

That is looking off the hinges! Very nice indeed SD. So, will it be the 120 from ROn?

MFR

SDMike
04-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Not unless someone wants to trade/buy a drilled 80 for about what I'd pay for the 120...

Mike

MFR
04-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Mike:

What are the dims on the 80? IS it 48x 20 x 20? Does it have an overflow? How much?

M

SDMike
04-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Not much progress today...

M

traff
04-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Mike
Here's a real good, inexpensive source for some doors.
https://secure17.websitecomplete.com/cabinetdoorsandhardw/shop/showDept.asp

Troy

SDMike
04-16-2004, 08:35 AM
What you don't realize is that Troy WORKS for HD. (shhh! don't tell anyone!)

Sorry to burst your bubble Troy, but the materials for the Tank Mahal didn't even run $100 (so far. That Oak Ply is gonna KILL the budget!)

Its the pump ($100), lighting ($477 with the new PC ballasts), and the future protein skimmer, CA reactor, and etc that is gonna make this spendy.

M

SDMike
04-25-2004, 09:41 AM
...the roses red.

Well, in my case, I'm painting my tanks black.

M

SanDiegoReefs
05-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Mike--

What's going on with the Tank Mahal?? I haven't seen any updated pics lately... get with the program! Ha

-moore

SDMike
05-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by moore
Mike--

What's going on with the Tank Mahal?? I haven't seen any updated pics lately... get with the program! Ha

-moore

I hit a stopping point.

I sold off my 80 and haven't bought the 120 that is going to replace it yet. Knowing me, I'd be looking, and looking, and... till I found a 120, then I'd have to tear the whole thing apart and re-do everything... I figured it was better to wait and do it once.

M

REEFWAVE
05-24-2004, 02:54 PM
i like the idea. it looks like it will be a sweet set-up. keep up the good work. and quit slakin.... lol

SDMike
05-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by REEFWAVE
i like the idea. it looks like it will be a sweet set-up. keep up the good work. and quit slakin.... lol

YOU wanna buy me a 120RR?

M

[Cruzer]
05-24-2004, 04:28 PM
I guess "Tank Mahal" got toooo mahal... LOL.. Tank setup
looks sik.. Guess keep saving up for the 120.

RC

SDMike
05-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by [Cruzer]
I guess "Tank Mahal" got toooo mahal... LOL.. Tank setup
looks sik.. Guess keep saving up for the 120.

RC

Between that and a few other major things that happened to come at the exact wrong time, there's a budget crunch in casa de Shaw...

As soon as the cashflow resumes its normal course, the Tank Mahal's gonna get done first thing.

M