PDA

View Full Version : other pet section

dogma40
06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I have snakes that i breed, some people have birds, dog, cats.... do you think you could find the time to make a small area that we can post pics of our other fine non-finned friends? So that people can show off their other interest?!?!
thanks bro - chase w :2cents:

dogma40
06-18-2009, 02:06 PM
ie

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/ChaseWaller/non%20fish/chasew3snakes.jpg

nahtanoj
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
i love snakes. used to keep a lot in highschool. had a ball python for a while, but gave it to a friends kid because i spent more time with the fishies than with him. that's sweet that you breed them.

dogma40
06-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank you.
I darn near owned every animal i could get my hands on growing up. With the help of some parental understanding/ financing I was able to have (save up and buy) just about all the weird/ different critters I desired, ie not the doggies and kitties.

Mostly insects, poisonous or otherwise, and abnormally large. When I was in HS i found my babies in the local reptile shop. I currently have a 400 gallon for them setup at my folks place, that system is almost 100% automated. Couple timers, fog machine, heaters, fans, temp probe.... all the normal fish stuff minus the water movement devices and lights. The snakes have also never bit anyone to date…. EVER!

I’ve have helped build many aquarium/ terrariums for assorted species. My passion landed me in the medium to large snakes(of the non venomous variety). The rattle snakes didn’t go over so well, neither did the side winder or the other F#$%ed up pets I’d sneak home. However my current snakes stuck, and I love them, but not as much as the fish….. shh don’t tell them!

p.s. thanks to supportive moms and dads everywhere...heads up, fathers dad is Sunday...!

DaveMorris
06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I had a 4' gopher snake when I was in high school and to this day I think he was my favorite pet. I lived in Mira Mesa and I caught him way out in the canyon. Kept him for about six years. I also kept a Horned toad that actually laid eggs. Four of the six eggs survived to hatch. It wasn't until I called the zoo to ask about caring for them that I found out they were a protected species.

I also have never thought about the idea of putting a controller on a reptile habitat. It does make good sense, though, for all of the same reasons it does for a fish tank. That's pretty cool.

specvjeff
06-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Our reptile section all be it limited is fully automated as well. We can monitor the temperature and humidity in each enclosure from a monitor in the office. Shame on you Dave for collecting a protected species. ;)

dogma40
06-19-2009, 10:06 AM
hehe, i had a Horney toad too Dave :D they are to cute to resist! Especially when they get agitated and squirt blood from their eyes! They are a lot like bearded dragons in my experience, lots of personality and good eaters!

kthehun89
06-19-2009, 10:55 AM
i'm looking to get back into designer ball pythons

OceanBeach1502
06-19-2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45283