PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer inside or outside sump?

Mighty5cent
06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Probably a dumb question, but here goes :p

I'm gathering all my pieces to build my first sump/fuge for my 72 bowfront. I've looked at all kinds of different plans and read all kinds of different threads, but I keep wondering this...

Does the skimmer actually need to go inside the sump? Mine is set up to be used as a HOB or in sump skimmer, so would it make any difference if I used it as a HOB on the sump tank? I'd just put it on the input side, and plumb the skimmer output straight back in the same compartment. Using it that way would give me extra space in the sump and add a gallon or two to the total volume...

lth03
06-01-2009, 03:59 PM
do you have coralife super skimmmer or turboflotor kind?Put the skimmer inside the sump will look better,sure you hang it on the back of your tank but it will cause more the space between tank and wall,more pump and hose showing in your display tank,make sure that don't put your skimmer near or in the same compartment with the return pump,it might send bubble into your display.

LotsaFishies
06-01-2009, 04:54 PM
It depends on the skimmer and how it draws in water and how it dumps it out. One thing to take into consideration is the water level. The water level will greatly affect how much air the pump will such in and will affect the water level inside the skimmer body, which will make it less effective. Try to set it up so that the water in the area were the feed-pump is located is at a constant and stable height. Any resistance / back pressure on the output from the skimmer will also affect the internal water level in the skimmer..

Mighty5cent
06-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I have the coralife super skimmer. I'm talking about using it as a HOB on the sump tank, though, not the display tank. Putting it on the input side of the sump.