PDA

View Full Version : Zoa Pox

jason142
05-23-2009, 12:02 PM
I think one of my first zoa colonies is getting zoa pox. I was just wondering what was the most successful method people have used to radicate this disease. It is on a rock that is about 10 pounds and want to find the method with the most success rate before are start pulling it out every day to treat. I have already read the article on zoaid.com, just wondering about proven methods of treatment that have been used by fellow sdreefers.

vlad_acosta
05-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I've used furan-2 before it works you just have to keep treating dont let it go or it will spread. I would take the piece out to threat and just place it in tupperware or bucket then put it back. Good luck that stuff is a pain to deal with.

Nick_Kun
05-23-2009, 01:35 PM
QT and quarantine is the best method. However, I heard Vit. C also works. Check www.reef2reef.com on their zoanthid section, there should be a thread about it.

vlad_acosta
05-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Ive tryed the Vit. C also and had the best results w/Furan-2

QT and quarantine is the best method. However, I heard Vit. C also works. Check www.reef2reef.com on their zoanthid section, there should be a thread about it.

jason142
05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Ya, I already dose my DT with vitamarin c from brightwell so I don't think that it is going to help. Read about the furan 2 on zoaid.com and just wanted to make sure that it is going to work before I start pulling the rock out everyday to treat. Vlad, when you did the dip how long did you leave it in, did you keep the dip mix and reuse, and what water did you use. How long did it take to see improvements?

Nick_Kun
05-23-2009, 02:38 PM
when I had an outbreak a few years ago. I setup a 20gal QT, fill it with 20gal or RO/DI water, heat it up to the temp of the main tank and dip zoas for 15-20min. Then I was the Furan2 off with saltwater from the main tank and I repeat this 3 times, once a week.

vlad_acosta
05-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I used the tank water in a container outside the tank for 20-30min repeat for 3 days then let it rest for a bout a week. Then continue the treatment again for 3 days about 15-20min dip then let it rest. See were youre at if you need to continue treating. Each new treatment cycle drop the dip time by 5 or 10 min. Always use new dip mix and fresh water from your tank. I also tryed taking them out of the water and just let them sit and get a little dry. i dont know if it help but i tryed all the different treat ments i read about atleast once. In the end i saved some and lost some it just depends on the hardiness of the paly or zoa some fight back more than others...Oh and remember to wear gloves when handleling them especially if you wear contacts. Good luck...

ps you can get the furan for like $8 at AW or any other shop its with all the fungus treatments get the saltwater one theres a freshwater you dont want

Ya, I already dose my DT with vitamarin c from brightwell so I don't think that it is going to help. Read about the furan 2 on zoaid.com and just wanted to make sure that it is going to work before I start pulling the rock out everyday to treat. Vlad, when you did the dip how long did you leave it in, did you keep the dip mix and reuse, and what water did you use. How long did it take to see improvements?

jason142
05-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Ok, so I bought the furan-2 today and it says that it is for fresh and saltwater, is this the right one? If it is here is another question, on zoaid.com it talks about tablets but this one came in powder packets. How much water did you use per packet if this is the right one?

jason142
05-24-2009, 04:55 PM
bump ttt

vlad_acosta
05-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Yes thats the right one...I used one packet for about a galloon of water

jason142
05-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks man, I was a little worried when I read 1 packet per cup of water. I would have to buy a case of the stuff to do a 3 day treatment. Going to start treatment tonight with keep an update on the process.

jason142
06-12-2009, 08:05 AM
So time for an update. The treatment seems to have worked. My first colony that was affected went down hill very fast but I managed to save over half. I started to see pox on other colonies and started treatment right away. The only other colony I lost any zoas was my radioactive dragon eyes and that was only a couple, so few that you would never be able to tell. What I did was mix three packets of Furan-2 to one gallon of tank water. I had some mixed information when researching the ratio so I kind of went with my own and it seems to have worked for me. The dragon eyes are on a rock with a green monti attached and dipping didn't affect the monti at all. I didn't have the capability of setting up a QT so that is probably why the others started to show signs of zoa pox. I treated in the mix for 3 days for 25 minutes and the only colony I did a second treatment on was the colony I lost the most zoas. I let that colony rest for 4 days and then 3 more days for 20 minutes in the mix. From how fast my first affected colony went I would have to say that this treatment was a success.

dirt-nasty-510
07-11-2009, 08:38 AM
How are the zoas doing?

jason142
07-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Everything is fine with the exception of my safecrackers, for some reason it just keeps coming back on this zoas. I changed to mixture to 4 cups tank water to 1 packet furan-2. I am going to be able to do back to back treatments now that I am going not going anywhere so hopefully this will help. I can see a massive improvement after the first treatment so hopefully after the second they will be be even better. I am only going to wait 4 days between treatment this time but like stated above this treatment does work.