PDA

View Full Version : aquaclear 110 fuge

kalosbios
05-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Hello all,

Anyone know how to get an aquaclear 110 HOB motor/impeller quiet? This thing is LOUD! I was trying to create a 'fuge out of it, but this is way too loud to run in my house. Any suggestions? I need to do this on a budget, so buying a "real" refugium is out for now. . . .

Thanks,

Gordon

kalosbios
05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Is this unsolvable? Hmmm. . . .

JoeJ
05-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Gordon,
My AC110 was a little loud as well. It needed a little break in time before it stopped making all that noise. I'm assuming you haven't cut the impeller. If so, did it cause an imbalance?

jrod11
05-21-2009, 01:34 PM
is it rattling up against part of the shell? maybe try and clean it with vinegar and remove anything that could be rubbing?

kalosbios
05-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks, guys.

No, Joe, I haven't cut the impeller. . . and I don't think I am going to need to. Since my primary goal is nutrient export, some rubble and chaeto will do well w/the higher flow rate. It is great for circulation as well;); the rubble below the water inlet is deep enough to harbor a few pods and such, I think. . . we'll see!

I also kept in mind what you said on the earlier post, Joe--I didn't cut or glue anything; it works just fine w/just the basket removed. The only thing I still want to do is put a piece of eggcrate across the outflow to help keep the macro algae from wandering out.

I'll try to see if the impeller is causing the noise. I've taken it offline for now (just threw the chaeto in the tank for now. . .) and replaced it w/a Koralia 1 to make up for the loss of circulation. Next week I'll attack the problem again.

Thanks--I'll keep this updated.

Gordon

SoCalBoo
05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Make sure it isn't the plastic touching the tank. I've had a few AC filters do that (kind of a rattle sound). You can correct by wedging in a sponge between the filter body and the tank wall.

Also just might be an old motor and/or impeller. If you find the motor not starting after powering down frequently, it might be going out.