PDA

View Full Version : Ich help PLEASE

jaysonsd
05-18-2009, 05:14 AM
My hippo isn't doing good. I came back from vacation last weekend and first noticed two white spots that quickly disappeared the following day. Its since progressed to small spots all over its body w shallow respirations. Still eats.
I've tried the 'ich cocktail' but I've never been able to get the fish to eat freeze dried food and resorted to frozen. Does anyone have a hospital tank up and running? Its a young tang, just don't want to lose him.

I would set up a hospital tank but I'm simply outta room in my apartment.

Thanks,
Jayson

ricenoodle
05-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Jayson, Ich Coctail works well with frozen too, just let it thaw and soak it up a bit before you add. Don't you have a solana? Not sure if you do but i don't think a hippo tang will do well in a cube setup that's 34g. They need swim space, I made that mistake 2 years ago. Just my 2 cents, hope the little guy makes it.

jaysonsd
05-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Not sure the metronizadole is really getting into their systems; the fish have been avoiding the food until it sinks down for a bit since I've been mixing in the garlic and metro.

The hippo is a baby, my clowns and couple of the chromis are bigger. He's been in there for a month and I was planning on passing him on when he reached 3". He sleeps in the frag rack and schools w the chromis. Seemed well adjusted and eating heavily b/f this happened.

nahtanoj
05-18-2009, 07:10 AM
i have a hospital tank set up i can help out. i take no responsibility or blame if the fish dies while in my care. i of course will care for the fish as if it were my own.
jon

OceanBeach1502
05-18-2009, 07:19 AM
^ he would...

jaysonsd
05-18-2009, 07:26 AM
PMed John, much thanks to him. Aud, as our still resident tang police, am I wrong w a baby tang in that size a tank?

ricenoodle
05-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Jayson, i got some focus you can add to your coctail too if need it. its a full bottle, give give it back when you're done. That should increase the fish appetite a bit. Let me know, i'll be back from sea on tues. The hippo i had 2 years ago was a baby in the solana also and he was eating well for 2 mos and showed no signs also, i'll never put a hippo tang in a tank that small again, just something you might want to consider.

nahtanoj
05-18-2009, 08:55 AM
pm replied.

jaysonsd
05-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Jayson, i got some focus you can add to your coctail too if need it. its a full bottle, give give it back when you're done. That should increase the fish appetite a bit. Let me know, i'll be back from sea on tues. The hippo i had 2 years ago was a baby in the solana also and he was eating well for 2 mos and showed no signs also, i'll never put a hippo tang in a tank that small again, just something you might want to consider.

I'm gonna take him to Jon's place, but thanks for the offer. So you think the stress of that size tank is what immunocompromised the tang or are they just a more susceptible when young? I read that tangs in general are more prone to the disease.

OceanBeach1502
05-18-2009, 11:05 AM
PMed John, much thanks to him. Aud, as our still resident tang police, am I wrong w a baby tang in that size a tank?

What size is your tank? If he is small it might be fine. I wouldnt keep a hippo in anything under 120 and when it gets big enough...it should go in a 150+ My Hippo has in need of a bigger tank already!

jaysonsd
05-18-2009, 12:20 PM
What size is your tank? If he is small it might be fine. I wouldnt keep a hippo in anything under 120 and when it gets big enough...it should go in a 150+ My Hippo has in need of a bigger tank already!

34g solana, minus sand, LR, equipment, prolly 30 gal. Its about 1.5 inches long and I think there's a good amount of swimming area for it.

Rob619
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh1/ibgoodtimes/TangPolice.jpg

jt_milstead
05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh1/ibgoodtimes/TangPolice.jpg

"Pool over, Pool over!"

OceanBeach1502
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
waaaaaay tooo small.

34g solana, minus sand, LR, equipment, prolly 30 gal. Its about 1.5 inches long and I think there's a good amount of swimming area for it.

stephj03
05-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Do you mean 1.5" total length? If so I would think you have a good case against the "Tang Polizia" if you decide to challenge the ticket in court lol. It's going to be a while before a hippo that small outgrows that tank. Probably more time than the average person keeps their tank around here without upgrading or getting out of the hobby JMO.

GL with the ich.

jaysonsd
05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, the tang's 1.5 - 1.75" in length, just a babe, schools w the chromis.

jaysonsd
05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Well, thanks to everyone that offered help. The tang is now ich free... and I have no idea what did it. Either the ich cocktail finally kicked in, the malachite green (which is NOT NOT NOT reef safe - but fortunately just one invert fatality), the vitC, or the cleaner shrimp (which everything I read says has no effect). I had some crazy idea to leave the koralias on day and night to keep the current high to prevent the parasites from latching onto a fish... but it doesn't make sense. @ least now I can change my mood!

Bogg
05-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Jason ime ich is always present in the water it just shows up under stressful conditions. Being water temp fluctuation as the main reason ime. hth

ricenoodle
05-30-2009, 08:30 AM
+1 with bogg, unless you leave your tank fallow, it'll always be there. feed well and good quality should prevent future outbreaks though. Glad the hippo made it.

jaysonsd
05-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Yeah, definitely a learning process. Was a lot easier w just corals and clean up crews in my last tank :p. Now I gotta watch my nitrates more, QT new additions, and keep my dissolved O2 high.