PDA

View Full Version : 30 day wait to post

BajaReefs
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I came across a recent non-premium member that had posted something for sale the same day he registered. I bought the item and I havent seen him log back on since....so how about a 30 day waiting period for "new" non-premium members to add a "for sale" post and instant "for sale" posts for "new" premium members...this aint sdcraigslist

dnraiders
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
if they cant post in those sections they will just post it in another section anyways

LotsaFishies
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
I understand your frustration... it is frustrating to see people only posting for-sale or wtb threads. (I come very very close to being in that category myself! :eek: )

On the flipside, there have been many times when I'm out and about and meet someone with a tank for sale, or needing to buy something, so I refer them to SDreefs. It would suck for them if they urgently needed to buy something, or had to have their tank sold so they could move etc and they had to wait 30days to post!

JAHGYDI
05-05-2009, 08:03 PM
maybe dont buy from somebody who isnt regulary on the boards

benzeeno
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Isn't feedback for that. I know I wouldn't buy on Ebay from somebody with a 1 or zero. Why don't more people use it?

Sam Maghsoodloo
05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
i think this would be a reactionary measure, and would cripple the appeal of the site to gain new members. I'd rather be less exclusive than more. If you buy something from someone, you met them face to face (probably) and have contact info and phone numbers. So if there's a problem, there are many other means of getting your money back or whatever. We were all new members at one point :)

knjtoomey
05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
this is #$%^ing ridiculous.

mj1333
05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I came across a recent non-premium member that had posted something for sale the same day he registered. I bought the item and I havent seen him log back on since....so how about a 30 day waiting period for "new" non-premium members to add a "for sale" post and instant "for sale" posts for "new" premium members...this aint sdcraigslist

Was there a problem with the item you bought? If not, I don't see an issue. This is a public forum. I'm sure there are many more people that stumbled onto this site or heard from another member that it would be a good place to buy or sell equipment, livestock, whatever, that have stuck around for a while than there are ones that just sell one thing and don't show up again. I for one am happy that I stumbled upon a member a couple years ago when I was getting into the hobby and about ready to pay $6-$8 a lb. for LR.
Yes I've sold and bought ALOT of stuff here.
The ones that get to me are the the ones that buy something on this site and then try to sell it here for twice what they paid for it! :shocked:
Thats what should go to craigslist.

ethibode
05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Why would you not encourage people to use this site to sell their used equipment? I like second hand equipment that I dont have to pay an arm and leg for, I need them both and want all kinds of tanks and fish. If I want something and its good quality and inexpensive I'll buy it and you can turn your nose up at us both.

stephj03
05-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Selling/buying gear/livestock adds to the community just like posting in the other forums on sdreefs. Some members are looking for advice, some for friends, some for info on husbandry and disease, and some for stuff to buy and a place to sell.

I would consider the possibility that this person you speak of still lurks the forum. Threads like this diminish the odds that he/she will log in more often and participate in ways that you find more worthwile than selling you second hand goods.

Why discourage new people from being a part of sdreefs in whatever way they want to be involved?

CruiseX
05-07-2009, 05:47 PM
30 day wait period - boooooooooo

kalosbios
05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Hello all,

We all have come here initially for different reasons--why does it matter? Once you start meeting people face to face (through a sale, usually. . .), a greater sense of belonging starts to set in. That's the beauty of this community.

While at first you may only "troll" the FS/WTB categories, pretty soon you find yourself looking at member tanks, making a comment or two about how good they look, congratulating someone for a new baby in the lounge because you can relate, the chat room, giving advice that may be helpful in the reef-related discussions because you've already been through it, and the list goes on and on.

I, for one, am really glad I came here looking for (and selling. . .:hideeyes:) equipment . It opened my eyes to a wonderful community of very generous people. . . always willing to offer their advice, encouragement, and sometimes even a helping hand. As far as building a community of people who share common interests, even non-premium members add something to this site. Start to exclude or restrict and you may never meet someone that could have a significant, positive impact here. Abusers will make themselves apparent. . . . :2cents:

Enjoy your weekend,

Gordon

RussM
05-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Well said, Gordon!

kalosbios
05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
By the way, Russ, while reading through many posts (it is an addiction. . .), I have seen quite a few of your creations--in a word: incredible! I have learned so much just looking at the designs and reading the writeups. . . I need to get out more often and meet some of you!:D

Gordon

Techknowledgy
05-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I am not a big fan of the idea at all, for all of the reasons Gordon gave, and this one. When I am in the LFS, and there is someone there who has questions, I ALWAYS point them at sdreefs. I keep some extra business cards and just tell them that they are not alone. Do this when I meet new people at the pier too. Newbies are probably more often buyers than sellers. This idea is just a free enterprise market killer. The electronic door mat at sdreefs should always say "You are Welcome Here." ...... and in small letters below it......... "To become a Premium Member- Click Here."

(Just my never to be humble opinion.)

Techknowledgy
05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
By the way, Russ, while reading through many posts (it is an addiction. . .), I have seen quite a few of your creations--in a word: incredible! I have learned so much just looking at the designs and reading the writeups. . . I need to get out more often and meet some of you!:D

Gordon

Russ is THE man. Technologically astute, a craftsman and a generally cool guy...... for a reef nerd. :)

CruiseX
05-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I am not a big fan of the idea at all, for all of the reasons Gordon gave, and this one. When I am in the LFS, and there is someone there who has questions, I ALWAYS point them at sdreefs. I keep some extra business cards and just tell them that they are not alone. Do this when I meet new people at the pier too. Newbies are probably more often buyers than sellers. This idea is just a free enterprise market killer. The electronic door mat at sdreefs should always say "You are Welcome Here." ...... and in small letters below it......... "To become a Premium Member- Click Here."

(Just my never to be humble opinion.)

Ahh this is how I ran into Roland - except I was already on SDreefs - at AW - then he came and grabbed some xenia from me.

BajaReefs
05-09-2009, 12:11 AM
all you guys are right...it is bs...I guess I forgot to mention that it was something not related to this hobby (that was the bs part) and Im ok with the purchase...sorry for hitting a nerve...I guess I brought out the real sdreef community in you...lol

swissfish
05-09-2009, 08:22 AM
You got a deal (at least i hope so) and that is what the site is used for by most people. Some people read this board for years without even having an account or just don't log in to just read it.
I don't log in most of the time, when at work I usually just read.

the tank
02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I am a newb to the hobby and to the site. Someone gave me this site and said "this should help you out" I didnt have anything 2 weeks ago but intrest. Today i purchased a 5x2x2 acrylic tank stand and canopy with sump and pump and the list goes on. I am now addicted! thanks guys... haha Luckily there were no restricstions for me as a new memeber. Def going to become a premium member the site has already saved me tons of heartache and money. thank you sdreefs

Techknowledgy
02-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Welcome. You are certainly in the right place. Free free to ask questions before you spend more $$. Become a premium member. It is well worth it!

godspeed240sx
03-25-2011, 03:20 PM
\.so how about a 30 day waiting period for "new" non-premium members to add a "for sale" post and instant "for sale" posts for "new" premium members...this aint sdcraigslist

At least a "intro" would be nice?

drainbamage
03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
like require people to post an introduction before being allowed to post anywhere else?

I don't like it too much- the last thing a smaller forum like this needs is new-fangled ways of making it over-complicated for the level of membership it has. On the nationals it makes sense to restrict- with their volume of traffic the spammers would get overwhelming.

But here? How many new threads a day do we really have (besides Bogg's endless threads in the for sale forum- seriously man, make one thread and list multiple items, please? You're making it rougher for other people to have their items on the front page, and it's not cool being that selfish.)
I know there's the guy who posted his tank for 2500 bucks with no background, no pics, all that- but who's going to actually go buy it? So the guy wasted his time putting up the post, a tiny bit of the forums database got chewed up, and at the end of the day it's no biggy, IMO.
Putting up restrictions to prevent those rare cases of bad apples isn't going to help the site considerably and will hurt traffic (hurt the site) by possibly giving off the wrong impression.

Just my .02 duetschemarks.

jason142
03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Plus if that happens we wouldn't be able to have the fun that is being had on the $2,500 thread, its all good :D.

godspeed240sx
03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh sorry! I probably should've elaborated. I meant at least post an intro (or like 10 posts?) before being able to sell something?

drainbamage
03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I hear ya tony- but only way we could force them to post an intro is to restrict their posting privileges to an specific forum (such as a member introduction forum.) Which means if they didn't know the rule/see the sticky wherever it is, they'd probably wind up getting frustrated and leaving-not enough good compared to the potential downside.

As for the minimum posts- it's bad enough on the nationals that require a minimum where a guy posts "hey, that's nice" or "i like it" in 50 different threads just to meet the minimum- and the nationals have plenty of mods to jump on it- here we just have Roland- so all we're going to do is get ourselves more spam to wade through.

Don't get me wrong- I don't like the Once and Done posters, but I can't see a good alternative that will actually have less issues rather than causing more.

godspeed240sx
03-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Don't get me wrong- I don't like the Once and Done posters, but I can't see a good alternative that will actually have less issues rather than causing more.
Yeah, we're on the same page.

Magiksurfman
03-25-2011, 04:03 PM
about the once and done issue, isn't there a way to erase profiles after some inactivity ... i know i got booted off some forums for not being active, i only signed up to read.

BajaReefs
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
:eek:

Yolo
07-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I like "One Post Wonders"!!!