PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower wasting away in front of my eyes

SDMike
03-28-2004, 10:19 PM
All right guys, I need help convincing my Lawnmower Blennie who's on a hunger strike to eat something.

It was suggested I try dried seaweed leaves. There's one in the tank for a day and SOMEthing's eating it, but I don't think it is the blennie.

It was suggested to soak the seaweed in garlic extract. So I did. The peppermint shrimp's gone crazy for the stuff, but I don't see the blennie touching it.

I know they're "vetrenarians," so meat's right out...

What's left?

I haven't killed anyting in lots of years and don't wanna start now!

Mike

sdboogie
03-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Maybe someone's got a rock with hair algae that they need cleaned. Just thinking out loud.

BlueLagoonSD
03-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Will it eat macro algae? If so, I have plenty of it for you to have to try. LMK, I hate to see this fish die due to starvation.-Mike

SDMike
03-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Aahh, I see him eating on the seaweed strip I stuck in the tank. I guess that maybe the garlic is helping. Then again, maybe not. I'll have to try the experiment again without the garlic and see which is better getting him to eat.

He wanders over, takes a few nips, then wanders off. I'm guessing in typical LM blennie behavior.

Mike

ConUSsd
03-29-2004, 12:36 PM
My Lawnmower eats everything but veggies. His diet consists of mysis shrimp, prime reef, and flake and pellets.

Flamehawk
03-29-2004, 12:52 PM
my is nice and fat, just by nibbling on my LRs. Haven't see it eat anything(mysis, brine, formula 2, cyclop-eeze...) else yet. I have my for about 1 to 2 month. But of course maybe it is eating the things I feed, but I just didn't catch him/her eating those things.

kaisersoza
03-29-2004, 02:25 PM
My lawnmower goes nuts when I feed the tangs garlic soaked Nori. Actually pushes the tangs out of the way to get to it. However, when I just feed Nori without garlic he ignores it.

REEFWAVE
03-29-2004, 06:11 PM
mine is slowly trimming back the hair algae and he goes after the mysis shrimp every time.

SDMike
03-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Well the LM Blennie is eating, he went from being on a hunger strike to pigging out.

Maybe he's just anorexic? Bulimic?

Who knows... All I'm concerned about is that he's eating.

I HATE killing things thru negligence.

Mike

ConUSsd
03-31-2004, 07:52 PM
just out of curiousity, did you change his diet up or did he just start eating whatever was there?

SDRotary
03-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately I just found my LMB eating (attacking more of) my firefish :eek: I cannot believe it. Mine like to "normally" eat algae off the glass more than eating the algae on the rocks, I would try the macro algae or keep trying with the seaweed and gl.

SDMike
04-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ConUSsd
just out of curiousity, did you change his diet up or did he just start eating whatever was there?

He's always nibbled at the rocks/glass/algae, but I added pieces of garlic-soaked seaweed. I've been watching him (and most of the hermits and snails) pigging out on the seaweed. Its good to see a fat belly on the guy... I was really afraid I was gonna lose him.

Mike