PDA

View Full Version : Fragging Mushrooms

SanDiegoReefs
12-11-2003, 12:29 AM
I have some pretty cool green mushrooms (I think they're "hairy mushrooms"). I want to make some cuttings, and frag some but I'm not exactly sure how. Can someone point me in the direction of some info? I found a couple of webpages about it, but I think I'm missing something, hah, they basically said to cut it like a pizza... is that accurate?

-moore

jetor
12-11-2003, 07:29 AM
I usually just cut them off at the stock and glue the head where ever I want it and the stock will grow a new head. I have mutulated mushrooms before and end up with multiple heads ......they are pretty hardy critters.....almost weed like.

Jasen

SanDiegoReefs
12-11-2003, 04:11 PM
what do you usually use to cut them with?

-moore

MrKrispy
12-11-2003, 04:54 PM
do you use the superglue gel? I have used it but not on a coral itself yet. I thought the shrooms slimed up bad if you try to glue them...

jetor
12-11-2003, 06:01 PM
I have used scissors (don't use your wifes good pair, they don't appreciate that), exacto knives, razors, really anything sharp. Super glue is the only thing that works due to the slime (though not as slimey as other corals) or you can use a small piece of bridal veil netting (again not from your wifes wedding dress) and rubber band them down (this take too long for me so I superglue).

Eugene
12-12-2003, 09:05 AM
I've had really bad luck with super glue and rubber bands. I've lost a ton of shrooms that just floated away into nothingness overnight.

My latest attempt involves putting a bowl of rubble rock in a low-flow area of my refugium - then putting the shrooms in the bowl. If things go right, they should attach themselves to the rubble. We'll see if this works... :rolleyes:

MarLooney
12-17-2003, 03:29 PM
i use netting... not on them but around them or i put them into a small container in the tank with netting over the top. that way they can naturally attach themselves to rubble. then you simply glue the rubble where you want the shrooms to be. i'd rather glue rubble than the shroom itself. this works with the pie shaped cuttings as well. it's basically how they do it at garf.

[G]h0s']['
12-18-2003, 10:30 AM
yea, the garf website has some propagation video on there that you can download. i was shocked when i first saw how people propigate xenia and toadstool leathers, but it works so i hear.

sdboogie
12-19-2003, 12:24 AM
What I did with shrooms recently is stick them in a nook or cranny of a rock and then put a piece of rubble on top of it. Within a couple days, the shroom has taken to the rock. The rubble just holds it there so it doesn't float away. This works for loose shrooms, I don't know about frags. I would imagine one could drill a shallow hole large enough to fit the cutting, then drop the frag in and place rubble on top. It also seems to work with sinularia that I mutilated with glue, rubberbands, even needle and thread.

MarLooney
12-19-2003, 11:10 PM
needle and thread worked great on my sinularia! in fact i have 6 ready now to trade.

sdboogie
12-20-2003, 12:06 PM
My seemstress skills are lacking. I knew I shouldn't have dijed home ec!

sdreefer21
12-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Ron from octopuss garden taught me to cut a piece of 1 inch pvc pipe a few inches tall and put it onto a rock. Than put your little shroom in it and be careful it doesnt form to the pvc. this has worked really well for me.