PDA

View Full Version : Help fish sick! what can i do?

dnraiders
04-06-2009, 09:36 PM
hi
today i my found my clown fishes looking "lost".. male has a cloudy eye. and female looks a bit weak and hiding in the back body swiming down. and firefish has white blothches on body and looks irratated. sorry for the short descriptions. im trying to find out waht to do...thanks
can i set up a treatment tank right now?
can anyone tell me how or link me to an article?
thank you guys
PS..if you can call me with any info please do...thanks!
-Dave
619 300 62 74

rgrobe
04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
If you have a reef tank you can not treat many diseases with out the potential of damage to the inverts and corals. You will need to move all fish to a separate QT or hospital tank. 10-20 gallons is usually standard. The cloudy eye sounds like it could be a bacterial infection. Most LFS carry antibiotics for fish. Follow the manufacturers directions. Turn off any carbon. You'll need to do frequest water changes if you start to see rises in ammonia or nitrites. If the white spoltches are velvity looking it may be ich. Copper is the best treatment for that but I don't think you can use copper and antibiotics at the same time. You will have to determine which symptom is predominate and treat it first.

Good luck. Others may have better info to share. Pics of the fish might help with better disease identification.

dnraiders
04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
can i set up a qt tank now? if so how do i set it up? and how long after i set it up can i add the fish in?
thanks

rgrobe
04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
You can set it up now. Bare bottom with some various size PVC pipe for the fish to hide in and around. You can use an airstone but a HOB filter, just a small one with no carbon is best. A small heater may be necessary. Use existing water so you can transfer your fish now. Then several water changes over the next few days to acclimate them the newer water. Watch your parameters. Any rise in ammonia or nitrites requires a WC.

Treat tank water with medication as appropriate for symptoms. I can't help you there. You need to research the symptoms thouroughly to insure you are treating for the right disease. From the information you provided it could be one or more of many different problems.

Good luck.