PDA

View Full Version : ICH....Brookynelle...or Something Else

MichaelRyanSD
04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
So let me start off by saying that I have lost 6 clownfish as of now, 4 of which were mated pairs, and one of the pairs I have had since the very beginning.

Basically I would say about a month ago it looked like my Blue Tang broke out with ICH. Not a severe case or anything, but it looked like he was getting it a little bit.

No big deal, Im a firm believe that ICH is in the water or the fish even if they are kept in a sterile system. I've used the cocktail before and began using again this time, I have pretty good success with it, but this time around it seems to bot be as effective.

My fish are as follows (or at the time of the break out)
4 Clownfish
Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Six Line Wrasse
Flamehawk
Goby
Chromis

Basically when the blue tang got it, the yellow tang broke out somewhat, and the clownfish had very faint signs of it.

Over the next few weeks it would get better, then get worse, then get better...basically back and forth.

Well about two weeks ago, I introduced and a carpet anemone to the tank. My clowns immediately took to hosting it. After a few days, they all broke out pretty bad in what appeared to be ich. well 5-7 laters, they all started dying one by one.

My only rationale to this was because they were sick with ICH and had a hard time adjusting to the toxins of the anemone, so it was kind of like getting pneumonia and strep throat all at once, either one of those are treatable, but to have em both at the same time can be deadly.

So that is what I equated to in the clownfish situation.

About a week later I introduce my second clownfish pair, they looks fine and great one day and started hosting the carpet anemone, the next day they looked like they broke in a bunch of little white dots(possibly ich), the third day they were dead.

The ICH on the clownfish has always looked like it was smaller in comparison to the other fish...and in greater numbers (as in it covered their whole body)

So here we are today, 6 dead clownfish later...and Im all out of options.

So what do you guys think it is and what do you guys suggest...mind you that through out this entire ordeal, all of my other fish have been fine (granted they still have ich)

Is it the ICH, Possible Brookynella, the Carpet anem, or something else???!!

And yes, my water parameters are fine

David M
04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
"they looks fine and great one day and started hosting the carpet anemone, the next day they looked like they broke in a bunch of little white dots(possibly ich), the third day they were dead."

Cryptocarion does not kill that fast, neither does oodinium. But brook does :curse:

Without seeing them I can't say for sure but remember that a common name for brooklynella is "clownfish disease". It could have been introduced by any wild caught fish even if that fish didn't show signs of it.

desert_s10
04-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I just had to go thru the same thing. All that remains is my flamehawlk. My diagnosis was brook.

specvjeff
04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Agree with David M. Ich does not kill Clowns that quickly. My clowns came down with it a few days ago and the white spots are already gone. They will be in QT for some time though. From what I've read and heard from others, when you can tell your Clowns have Brook it could already be too late. You've got to act really quickly.

David M
04-05-2009, 06:01 AM
"when you can tell your Clowns have Brook it could already be too late"

That is usually the case, brook is really hard to beat if it's advanced enough to see. ALL wild caught imported clownfish should be quarantined and put through a treatment protocol, just assume they have been exposed to brooklynella. Sure they may look fine at the LFS but remember most stores run meds in thier fish systems. As soon as you get them home they start to go downhill.

Better yet just buy captive bred clownfish and avoid the problem alltogether :D

MichaelRyanSD
04-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Yeah I dunno, I was reading all the symptoms about brook and it just doesn't add up.

The first set of clownfish I had were in that tank for 2 months, there were 4 of em.When I got ICH, they didn't really show any signs of it until I put the Anemone in there, then they really broke out. Likewise once they did, they lived for 5-7 days...maybe even a few days longer.

Then once I introduced the second pair of clownfish (which I had in my frag tank for a month) they died within 3-4 days...

Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure none of these fish were wild caught, and even if so they have all been in captivity for the past 2 years...

desert_s10
04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
could it be possible that water from a system that has brook(where you received the anemone from) could transfer the disease to your system? Not sure if this is a possible means of contamination.....

MichaelRyanSD
04-12-2009, 10:12 AM
well I'm at a lost right now...one of my mated Bangaii Cardinals Just died...

I have them all in a QT tank and treated with Copper....seemed like they were doing fine, then woke up today to find the cardinal hanging on for life....