PDA

View Full Version : Montipora Eating Nudibranch?

KorL
03-30-2009, 06:30 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed my montipora frag had some receding areas. I took a closer look, and I found a couple of tiny white nudibranch's. I immediately removed them. I was hoping that the frag would be able to recover, but it slowly continued to recede. Just a few days ago, I found another nudibranch on it. I removed it, and I looked carefully looked for anymore nudi's. I couldn't find anymore, but I did see a few white dots, clustered on the underneath base of the frag. I assumed they were nudibranch eggs:confused2:? So I ended up plugging up the crevice where the questionable eggs were with some aquamend epoxy. Unfortunately it was too late, the frag ending up not making it.

I just did a quick search on the monti nudibranch, and the site said that dip should get rid of the nudibranch, but it might not get rid of the eggs. I dip all my corals before they go in the tank, so I don't know how they got in. I guess there were some eggs that survived the dip.

So for future reference, do you think that dipping and plugging up suspicious areas would stop them? Your opinions/ experiences with montipora nudibranch's would be greatly appreciated.

Bogg
03-30-2009, 07:25 AM
ime the only thing that truely worked for me is a natural method ie: coris wrasse and a few other wrasses to pluck them off. I had to bust up several corals and lay them flat on the sandbed upside down for a day then roll them over the next and repeat. Sort of serving them up on a plate. You can try to remove them manually and scrape off the eggs to help. I tried a garlic dip that worked sort of. I did the potassium premanganate and I must have done it to weak because they were still around. So a yellow coris wrasse and manually remove them ime.

iwantone
03-30-2009, 07:34 AM
They are a nightmare. Nothing works as far as I know. Good luck

iwantone
03-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Tried yellow coris without much luck, as well as dips...

Redeye
03-30-2009, 07:54 AM
yellow coris worked for me couple years back, recently a friend had them, and STRONG FWE/FWC dips did the trick