PDA

View Full Version : 3/4'' Crack in Glass Tank

TaxGuru44
03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey all:

So I need some advice.

I just moved out here to Phoenix and I am about to setup my 60g Cube (reef). Of course the day I have planned for water to be delivered with the LR is the day I pulled the tank out of the packaging the movers put it in.

There's a 3/4'' crack in one of the corners (see photo). Its just enough where I can see where the two pieces of glass are siliconed together.

Question: Is this tank OK to run my system if I silicon the crap out of the crack?

Any and all opinions welcomed, thanks in advance.

<p>http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs028.snc1/2579_1115858459257_1310837924_30318362_1203256_n.j pg

Fine Fins
03-15-2009, 12:57 PM
ouch looks like a fill outside and wait test and decide do you want to see a crack like that. Do the movers have responsibility for it?

TaxGuru44
03-15-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm working with the moving company on it now.

I don't mind seeing it. It'll be in the far back corner of the tank and spray-painted black.

Other than cosmetics you think it can survive with plenty of silicon right?

vlad_acosta
03-15-2009, 01:05 PM
a couple years back i had a 60gal standard with the same chip on the side and well one night it drain onto my bedroom from at 3am...i was good for about 6months with the chip but eventually it will bust

ricenoodle
03-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Does it hold water on a fill test? i'd let it sit out back for a week with water in it and double check to see loss of water out of the crack besides evaporation just to be sure.

TaxGuru44
03-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I just picked up some aquarium silcone and plan to seal the crap out of it.

HOPEFULLY this will be enough to save the tank.

If anyone else has experience or opinions on this..keep the advice coming.

Thanks

Fine Fins
03-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I'd think on reenforcing the corner with two small pieces of glass with the silcone as a sandwich. It would be way strong then just silcone.

TaxGuru44
03-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Great idea.

Just double-reinforced it with two pieces of plastic and another pound of silicone. It looks ghetto as hell, but I think it has a chance to hold.

rgrobe
03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Use caution if you do decide to try it. the characteristics of glass are not in your favor. A chip or crack can continue to increase in size over a period of time. Changes in temparature, vibration from pumps, powerheads and wavemakers, and possibly even the weight of the water can cause the damage to continue to grow.

The silicone may stop initial leaks but won't stop a crack from spreading. This may happen over a period of time. If you do try it make sure it is in an area that allows you to check often. You might also want to use a magic marker or sharpie to mark the area that is damaged. That way you will have a gauge to determine if the damage spreads in the future.

Fine Fins
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
i'd use glass not plastic better bond with silicone

alittlesalty
03-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm sure you just made a killing "tax" guru. I would get another one save money on coral money on fish and money on clean up. Your a numbers guy spend a little now or a lot later.

TaxGuru44
03-15-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm sure you just made a killing "tax" guru. I would get another one save money on coral money on fish and money on clean up. Your a numbers guy spend a little now or a lot later.
i know thats what the mrs. said too....

Its just hard to let a "potentially" perfectly good tank go.

Maybe it'll give me a chance to upgrade to a rimless tank? :)

LarryM
03-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Looks like a chip in the edge of the glass from that picture.
It may survive. If there is any type of actual crack, do not push it, it will fail with pressure.

If you wish to possibly relace the plate of glass let me know.

TaxGuru44
03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Whats the average cost to replace a pane on this size of a tank?

thanks

Brian_reefragr
03-16-2009, 12:35 AM
You need to swap out the broken pane at least. A chip is bad news, even if it is small. New a guy few years back that chipped his 250 just barely, even less that yours. His tank lasted 6 months I think, but when it finally broka he not only had to replace all of his fish, coral, and tank, but his carpet on both floors, cause his tank was upstairs. Besides how much more of a legit excuse could you give the wife for hooking yourself up with that new tank you've been talking about for a long time!

Brian_reefragr
03-16-2009, 12:35 AM
You need to swap out the broken pane at least. A chip is bad news, even if it is small. New a guy few years back that chipped his 250 just barely, even less that yours. His tank lasted 6 months I think, but when it finally broka he not only had to replace all of his fish, coral, and tank, but his carpet on both floors, cause his tank was upstairs. Besides how much more of a legit excuse could you give the wife for hooking yourself up with that new tank you've been talking about for a long time! :bat: