PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bristle worm?

JAKES
03-25-2004, 12:21 AM
Hey all, I'm no expert in bristleworms so maybe you can help me out. I just saw about 2 inches of a worm crawling out of a piece of my liverock. It was pinkish in color white hair in rows down its body , about 3 times the diameter of a #2 pencil lead, with a round body and a flattened head. As soon as i stood up to get sumthin' to kill it, it quickly retracted into the hole. So, what is it, how do i kill it, and if i cant get it whats it gonna do to my tank..Currently my tank is empty except for some snails and hermits...I plan on intruducing some soft corals soon..Thanks for your time, Jake

BlueLagoonSD
03-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Hey Jake, I have a couple of those bristleworms that I threw in my tank intentionally. Some people are even willing to buy them! They are a nice addition to your "cleanup" crew. I know they are ugly but I never see them. I had an encounter with them once while aquascaping and placed a couple of fingers on them. They left a couple of their "spikes" in my hand. Didnt hurt much just itches. -Mike

JAKES
03-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Good to know. It just looked like it might be happy to eat something expensive, so i wanted to make sure...

bler
03-25-2004, 12:25 PM
are they poisinous ? or do the 'bristles' just prick you if you grab it ? :)