PDA

View Full Version : aquaconnect bulbs

kim92111
03-24-2004, 10:47 PM
I just got the new Aquaconnect 14K bulbs and they are awesome. I've now acquired several different types of bulbs to test for aesthetic purposes and this one is hands down the best. Both bright and blue.
Here is a link in ReefCentral talking about the bulb and some pictures from others tanks. I'll have to take some pictures once I get a good digital camera.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=341240&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

[G]h0s']['
03-25-2004, 12:53 AM
are they DE bulbs, Stan? I hear they are the new thing in lighting. I was reading that post that moonpod was in. People seem to like it alot. Do they have it in 400watt? Actually I'm looking for 250DE...i hope they arent too expensive. :D

kim92111
03-25-2004, 01:24 AM
They aren't cheap. The 250 DE are what I have. They are bright. You should check them out if you want. I think they are just as bright as the 10Ks. Not sure how they compare to 400watt bulbs, although the RC post seems to say they are comparable.

[G]h0s']['
03-25-2004, 01:32 AM
Are they over 100bucks each? I'm trying to find research or spectral analysis on these bulbs...but I think they are too new. LOL.

SanDiegoReefs
03-25-2004, 08:05 AM
It looks like Aqua Connect 14,000K come in:

150W DE
175W SE
250W SE/DE
400W SE

A little additional info:

"When it comes to metal halide bulbs & ballasts, die-hard reefists always prefer HQI models from Germany. HQI is like the Mercedes of metal halide; generating the most stable coloration at the highest efficiency. Now, we would like to present the 21st century version of HQI - Aqua Connect's HIT metal halide bulbs. Engineered by the same team who was behind the original aquaristic-use double-ended 10,000K HQI bulb. Unlike other Eastern European pseudo-14,000K bulbs which look yellower than some 6,500K, Aqua Connect's HIT 14,000K+ MH bulbs are newly invented after long-term study by professors and researchers. They genuinely simulate near-Nature light spectrum for brilliant color reproduction, enhance excellent coral growth, and increase long-term color stability. HIT bulb is the result of a new German burner technology so that your aquarium looks more realistic than ever before. 14,000K HIT light contains very high percentage of the blue spectrum to simulate the natural light condition of coral reef. It provides a substantial improvement over 10,000K bulb while eliminating the need for 20,000K one. "

-moore

sd_mexican
03-25-2004, 09:44 AM
kim,

Where did you order your aquaconnect bulb from?

SD

kim92111
03-25-2004, 09:57 AM
www.aquaristics.com.

They are over $100, mainly due to the weakness of the US dollar. I'll let you blame whoever you want for that.

You can also order via premium aquatics, although the direct distributor is www.aquaristics.com (same as www.aquaconnect.us).

I have one of these bulbs and just also received the Schuran calcium reactor. I'll have to set up the later, but these are supposed to be the hottest things.

You can check them out one of these days.

sd_mexican
03-25-2004, 10:35 AM
kim,
Thanks for the quick response. I have been reading
about that bulb for a while now. I'm running
a pfo DE pendenat with an electronic icecap
150W ballast and I've bought an AB 10K bulb
and a 20K Ushio bulb. The AB burns white with no
blue with the electronic ballast, and the Ushio
is too blue. So hopefully the AC falls somewhere
in the middle. It's geeting to expensive to
exeriment. So let me know when you setup your Calcium Reactor I would like to check it out in action.
sd