PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic back tank???

sdboogie
03-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Has anyone ever thought of replacing the back panel of a glass tank with acrylic. Scratch resistant front with the ease of drilling the back yourself. Is there something I'm missing that makes this a bad idea. I'm currently looking to get a 30 gallon long drilled to accomodate 5 bulkheads (3 for closed loop SCWD and two for external dursos). It seems to me that anyone can drill acrylic and then replace that rear pane of glass on the tank, it's gonna be painted anyway. I'm having a hard time paying $130 bucks for a custom drilled 30long.

SDMike
03-23-2004, 05:41 PM
FWI understand, glass don't stick too well to acrylic.

Mike

JAKES
03-24-2004, 08:39 PM
My dad made an acryllic tank with a glass front. I guess its about a 300 gallon reef made from 1" acryllic i think. It's kinda hard to describe, but the front of the tank has like a 2 inch acryllic lip all the way around, and the glass sheet was silliconed to that. The water pressure of the tank pushes the glass against that acryllic lip. He's had it up for about 2 years, and it looks great, no problems.

sdboogie
03-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Clever idea! I think I can limit the holes to 4 by plumbing the closed loop inlet through the bottom of the overflow box and pipe it over the edge. Maybe I can get it under $100.