PDA

View Full Version : Hyposalinity Treatment for Ich

Fish n' Frags
02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I started Hypo treatment on all of my fish yesterday so i figured i'd document it here for others to see if they need it.

My Black Tang has had ich since November before i broke down my display tank but i took the "i'll just let it be" route. Well that definitely didn't work. I was tired of seeing all my fish covered in spots, than clear, than spots again. So with the Latz moving in i decided i better do something about it.

After a few PM's back and forth with David M, he gave me a lot of information on his QT protocol. I was tempted to jump in feet first with what he gave me but i had read so much on Hypo treatment being the more humane way (not to mention lots of successful cases) i decided to try this route first.

My fish list consists of

1 Black Tang
2 Yellow Tangs
1 Maculiceps Tang
1 Pair of Percula Clownfish
1 Pair of Latezonatus Clownfish

I put up a 50 gallon tank about a week ago and also had a 10 gallon here so i decided to setup both and put the Latz in a separate tank so the clowns wouldn't kill each other.

My setup consists of

50 Gallon Hospital
1 - 250W Heater
1 - Airstone
1 - Tunze Nanostream
1 - Sponge Filter (currently in main system sump to gain the beneficial bacteria)
Few pieces of large PVC piping.
1 - 54W T5 for lighting

10 Gallon Hospital
1 - 50W Heater
1 - Airstone
1 - Maxi Jet 1200
1 - Sponge Filter (currently in main system sump to gain the beneficial bacteria)
Large Clay Flower Pot
1 - 2" PVC Tee
1 - 18W PC for lighting.

I mixed up water for both tanks and set the SG to 1.010. Brought the temp of both tanks up to 80 deg F to speed up the life cycle of the parasite, and after Re-Reading Joyce Wilkersons Clownfishes, I felt comfortable taking the fish from the main display and adding them to Hypo tanks without acclimation. Sure enough within a few minutes they were just fine. I left the tanks this way for the first 24 hours and then emptied 50% of the water and vacuumed the uneaten food from the bottom of the tank. I then mixed up new water at 1.010 SG and added it to the tanks. I will do these 50% water changes daily for 14 days until i add the sponge filters to the tank. Than i will switch to 25% daily hoping that the sponge filters will help with reducing ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites reducing the need for the excess changes.

My main system will remain fallow for 2 months, or longer depending on how long the fish treatment takes.

My schedule will be as follows

-Monitor fish until i no longer see any cysts on the fish.

-Once i no longer am seeing spots i will start the clock and keep them in Hypo for 4 weeks. If at anytime i do see a spot, the time will reset.

-After 4 weeks of not seeing any noticable parasites gradually bring the salinity back up to my reef standard SG 1.026.

-Once at that salinity i will leave the fish in QT for another 4 weeks. This should allow more time to monitor the fish, and allow my main system to remain fallow long enough to rid the system of the parasite.

I will update if anything goes wrong, if i lose a fish, or if it just plain doesn't work. If i don't see a change after the first few weeks i will raise the SG and start copper treatment as an alternative.

ManTis
02-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Great I will follow this thread very closely. I left my tank fallow for 10 weeks. I had a couple of fishes die in copper QT. My tank have not seen ich since, knock on wood.

Good Luck!!!

Fish n' Frags
02-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks, its pretty scary putting your fish in that low salinity and go to bed.... :( Luckily that first night went well and i feel better about it now. We'll see. I wish me luck too. :D

MichaelRyanSD
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I wish you the best of luck Matt...but just so you know, from my experience..I did all that for 6-7 weeks, put the fish back in...within 2 days go some ich again.

So I went with the "they better tough it out" and they have and never saw Ich again

xrated
02-23-2009, 09:37 PM
i posted a similar type of thing but it was more "of a how to" article. great write up Matt!

nanoreefbro
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Just sent you a pm Matt...

Redeye
02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Sounds good

Biggest mistake people make with Hyposalinity is acclimating the fish, you acclimate the parasite too:p

I have good luck with hyposalinity

Fish n' Frags
02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Sounds good

Biggest mistake people make with Hyposalinity is acclimating the fish, you acclimate the parasite too:p

I have good luck with hyposalinity

I guess thats the part of this that i don't understand. I can understand why it would kill the parasite immediately but seems like anything that is alive a couple days later would be acclimated to the low salinity? Does this make sense? Although i'm seeing less spots 3 days into this, i feel like if its alive and well 3 days later that the the hypo won't affect it anymore.

Unless when they hatch from the cysts they die from the low salinity this just doesn't make much sense to me. But i'm going to keep doing it anyways just to see the results.

jason142
02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I might be wrong with this but I think it is because inverts require a specific salinity to survive. Fish can tolerate such a lower salinity than ick can so even after a week because the salinity is so low in will not be able to live. I was a dumbass and tried to add snails to my FOWLR while doing hypo and every single one of them died even after drip acclimating them for 2 hours. This is just the way that I understood it to work.

Fish n' Frags
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm thinking the same thing.

Well, i just got done doing my third day water changes and from what i can tell (although it may just all be in my head), there is a definite change in activity, spots on fish, fin and scales healing. Seems to be that the fish are liking the change. Still have ich, don't get me wrong, but i think the constant water changes along with the hypo is reducing the number drastically. So far i'm quite pleased with the results. I've been informed that i should see ich-less fish within the first couple weeks. My Latz pair are definitely showing improvement. When i got them, they had ich, torn fins, and the male had missing scales around its head and inbetween the first and second bar. These are all healing up nicely, and i can tell the mucus (sp?) coat is coming back strong. All well on the home front.

ricenoodle
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
That's good to hear, good thread indeed, keep the updates coming.

bpro32
02-28-2009, 07:31 AM
updates? I'm about to start hypo today

dogma40
02-28-2009, 08:13 AM
><((()))'> :2cents:;)

Fish n' Frags
02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Quick update, the 50 gallon Hospital housing the tangs and perc pair is going great. They are all clear of spots and i have started the 8 week wait. The 10 gallon with the Latz is going ok too. Two days ago the male would not eat and had stringy poop which i figured was worms or a protozoan (sp?). I did a freshwater dip during there water change with methalyne blue and they have been clear of all ick and no more stringy poop. Only problem so far is the Latz are being very finicky eaters. They will chase down and catch food with gusto, but they spit everything out. Every once in a while they swallow a piece but still i'm not confident that they are getting what they need. I tried live brine and they do eat that but i don't want to get them used to it and i know its not very nutritional anyways. I'm at a loss. I'm going to try garlic, although the spectrum i've been trying to feed is supposed to be really tasty.... :(

xrated
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
hopefully it gets better on the ladder part man....Im using the "No-Ich" reef safe stuff that I got last wed and the tank seems to be gettin better...not seein fish scratchin or rubbin on the rocks and no spots and been treatin everyday like it says

Fish n' Frags
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Well, a not so good update.

The treatment itself works great from what i can tell. I lost the smaller of the Latz tonight though. I left for a few hours and when i came home he was dead. Levels were all consistent with what they have been since i started. Not sure on the cause, maybe he had a problem i was not aware of or something that the hypo could not cure. I have given all the fish a freshwater dip with Methylyne Blue at one point or another. Either way, i should have done something for him since he has never really done really well. Every other fish is doing great and i'm sure that they will be fine throughout the treatment. Everyone is eating a ton. I'm quite disappointed, and i'm sure i could have done something for him if i had been a bit more educated. Guess i'll do what i can to find another mate for the larger one.

ManTis
03-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Sorry for your lost Matt...

barometer
03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
:shocked::cry::( So sorry Matt

Fish n' Frags
03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks Ed and Michael. I understand sometimes things happen but i feel like i just don't know enough about internal problems. He always has swam by himself and never really looked like he settled in. But i figured if he lived this long he must be ok. Nope. I definitely did something wrong with him, or not enough. Day started great with the news that my tank was ready to be picked up, but knowing this guy won't be in there is sad :(

jason142
03-04-2009, 10:46 PM
It is always hard to lose something that you care for, some people just don't understand what it feels like. Just remember though that no matter how much we research and try to care for our animals there is always going to be something out of our control. Look how advanced we are compared to 15 to 20 years ago. I am sure in another 15 to 20 years people will look back and think how did they do this back in the stone age. Sorry for you loss but don't beat yourself up to bad.

Lic3nc3ToKlLL
03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Matt...I have been reading this whole thread during my sociology class and I can't help but notice the updates you gave all these guys. Which for one, should be greatly appreciated! I was intriguied by the fact that you took the time to post how you were going to attack ich and I was even more intrigued at the fact that you explain everything fully just wanted to say thanks for all you offered and one fish down shouldn't mean anything we are always learning in reefing! Thanks for the help and I will keep it in mind! Good luck with the rest of them!